I Forge Iron

Value of this Anvil?

I recently acquired a 1928 soderfors Anvil with the stand, it's 89lbs and I'm hoping someone on here could tell me what it's worth?? There is one spot on the face near the edge someone must of hit it with a cutting torch. 

The value of an anvil? It is good for hitting hot metal on.

What is it worth? Absolutely nothing to 99.9% of the public that does not hit hot metal.

What is the fair market price? Depends on how much of that 0.1% (a) sees, and (b) has actual money in their pocket at the moment.

Ask not what the value is to us but what the value is to you!  If you are looking to  sell then the buyer will decide regardless what you ask for it, if it is for you, what does your wife say it is worth?  I've never seen a Used Anvil Value Blue Book like a vehicle.  Where oh Where are you in the world today? that effects value as stated above. 

Welcome aboard O'Reiley, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. 

Where you are has a lot to do with what anything for sale is worth. If you're in Sweden you might have trouble getting more than scrap price for it. However if you're in Alaska it's worth considerably even in such an abused state.

Actually I wouldn't have folk who got NEAR an anvil with a torch to executed, the lesson wouldn't last long enough nor be a good enough example to other idiots. Perhaps take the torch to THEIR face? Not a lot, just a quick gouge should make the point and If you chained them to an anvil with a torch handle poking out of them somewhere so they can explain why they're there, I can't help but think other idiots would go away.

Frosty The Lucky.

I make that trip from southern Wyoming several times a year! Always enter Canada through Portal, North Dakota and head up through Estevan to Regina. Maybe I'll have to incorporate anvil shopping into my trips!

Good Morning O' Realy

If you put your local in your Avatar, we don't have to ask (Where are you making a shadow?).

Saskatsabush is a large place. Maybe you have heard of Kisbey.

Enjoy the Anvil, It is a keeper even if it has a owwie. Asking of the worth is like asking, What is your favorite Colour?

Enjoy the journey, there is no destination other than what you would like.

Neil

I think it is a very valid question that has been asked many times over, I don't know why all this argy bargy about it.

There is a market for anvils like there is a market for coffee machines. It is ruled by the principles of supply and demand and therefore as others have said, it is not only dependent from what's on offer but also where.

You have an anvil from one of the best makers, on the small side and with light damage. In Sydney Australia it would fetch $400 to $600 australian dollars. Retail.

In Saskatchewan ... I say it is worth exactly what you paid for it ... supply and demand, you are part of the market ... :)

Frosty. If you come to Sweden you are in for a disappointment. I checked the market just now and the asking prices fluktuated between 5 and 10 US$ per pound. I was very lucky to get mine for 2$/lsb some years ago. I got a good price since I also releived the seller of a forge, a stake anvil and a post vise.

2 hours ago, gote said:

Frosty. If you come to Sweden you are in for a disappointment. I checked the market just now and the asking prices fluktuated between 5 and 10 US$ per pound. I was very lucky to get mine for 2$/lsb some years ago. I got a good price since I also releived the seller of a forge, a stake anvil and a post vise.

I HOPE Sweden wouldn't be disappointment! I already have an anvil I'd be visiting for other reasons, maybe meet up with a friend and get a tour. You know touristy things. 

Prices of smithing tools are going up everywhere and some guy in the US keeps talking up Soderfors anvils.

Frosty The Lucky.

23 hours ago, Frosty said:

I HOPE Sweden wouldn't be disappointment! I already have an anvil I'd be visiting for other reasons,

You would be VERY welcome in case you show up. Best time is mid-May to mid-July

• 4 weeks later...