I Forge Iron

Flower Candle Holders - thin forge welding practice

Iron Poet

These are made of 1/2" pipe for the cups, 1/4" for the stems, and 1/16" for the leaves. Everything was put together in a pretty sloppy manner, but the welds are nice and solid. I did these because someone wanted candle holders and because I want to make some cattails and figured this was a good proof of concept.

Feel free to critique

DSCF4048.JPG

DSCF4049.JPG

DSCF4051.JPG

DSCF4052.JPG

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

Clever. I am in awe of anyone who can forge weld delicate stuff without fizzling it!

It's not hard at all trust me on this. You just flux it, put it in the fire, watch it turn bright yellow, and then tap it with a hammer. I didn't even make a cave to forge weld these I just stuck them in the coal. I think the majority of people just psych themselves out and over think the process, a little confidence helps ya know? Besides even if you mess up it's not like it's going to cost you more than a quarter or for you aussies 1/512th of a keg of Fosters

Perhaps you're right. Overthinking the process. I have had some success with larger stock, but far from confident. I NEVER do forge welding during demos ... too many sparks anyway! I like your Fosters analogy.

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

Perhaps you're right. Overthinking the process. I have had some success with larger stock, but far from confident. I NEVER do forge welding during demos ... too many sparks anyway! I like your Fosters analogy.

For thin stock there will be almost no sparks since you're dealing with far less material. You just need a few sprinkles of borax and a very keen eye on your air flow, you should be able to maintain forge-welding temperature without accidentally straying to hot. Pre-forming the pieces so that they come together easier is also a must, what I did with the leaf is that I curved a 1/2" into a C-shape so that it would easily stay on.