I Forge Iron

First attempt at a Frosty T burner

VainEnd84

So this is my first ever attempt a building a burner of any kind, so I figured a Frosty T burner would be a good place to start, simple and effective, it seems to have worked out rather well. 

I couldnt source a reducing 1" - 1/2" T so I had to use a 1" - 1/2" bushing to connect the tube to the T. Everything else is pretty much exactly as described in The Frosty T burner topic.

Comments and crisicisms welcome, especially if it helps me make an even better burner.

Here is video of it running in the middle I increase the pressure from 3 - 20 psi then back down to about 5 psi.

• 3 weeks later...

You subbed a 1" T to 1/2"? I'm pretty sure the illustrated directions call for 1" x 3/4" for a 3/4" burner or 3/4" x 1/2" for a 1/2" burner.

Regardless they look to be burning nicely outside of a forge. Are you going to be using them for torches? They tune differently in a forge due to back pressure.

Looking good so far, keep us in the loop please.

Frosty The Lucky.

I must have misread the directions, I thought the openings on the T needed to be double the inside diameter of the mixing tube. I have, however, found a local source for reducing T's in many different sizes so I won't have to use a reducing bushing which should make tuning them easier.

Yes I will be using them in a forge. Once it's not -30c and I can work in my unheated shop comfortably, I will actually be able to build the darn thing.

Ah, that's easy to misunderstand, the intakes need to be 2x the AREA in cross section rather than diameter. 2x the dia. is 4x the area in cross section. It's a common mistake and I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a way to get it right in the directions in an easy to understand way.

-30c eh, guess I'll stop griping about it being in the single digits f. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh, well now I feel kind of silly, but onwards and upwards! I will correct my error with the new parts. I haven't plugged the burners into my brick pile forge yet but will hopefully get there sometime this week, and it's supposed to warm up next weekend so I may actually be able to build my proper forge!