I Forge Iron

New coal forge build in progress

Camerican

Greetings all, been a lurker for 3 years now, finally decided to make an account and join the discussion. Been running a really small what I like to call a Franken forge for 3 years. Basically an old charcoal bbq converted to a forge with a hair dryer to make the whole thing chooch. It worked alright for a while. Pretty right? Well it is time to say adieu to the Franken forge. She served me well while I lived in the city. New job finds me back in my hometown, on 15 acres and lots of room to play! So I got the go ahead from my beautiful lady to get all set up! And here we go. Will post pics as I get progress done. 

IMG_20141123_162057.jpg

Day 1 had me really not knowing what the heck I was doing. Bought a bunch of metal at the metal supermarket in the city and decided it was time to put it to use. Cut all the pieces for putting it all together. The table that is. Doesn't look like much yet right? Here is the space I can call my own with a bunch of metal on my makers table. 

20170109_205601.jpg

Day 2 ended with something that resembled a table top. Got my feet wet with welding. Never done that before. I don't think I will ever call myself a welder, but I can make metal stick together. 

20170115_132401.jpg

And that brings us to today. Only able to be out in the shop for 3 hours today as we are in the middle of demolition on the basement and that is apparently the priority. Lol oh well, more welding and have a decent table now. Next will be to build the firepot, cut a hole in the table to insert it, build the tuyere with clinkerbreaker and build a side draft hood, then a mounting bracket for my vintage Thompson hand crank blower. Another month or so and I will have a nice little forge. Here are some details for you all

Table built with 1.5 x 1.5 angle iron

36 x 48" total size

Table plate is 1/8" lower shelf on the left not yet put in but will be 12 ga. For projects to cool on. If it looks a little backwards to some of you i'm a south paw so it will all be set up for a lefty. 

I added an extra 1.5" on 2 sides of the table so I can have a little extra coal on the bench. 

20170121_120256.jpg

Looking good!!

You will want to get some bracing under those cutouts. Just a couple pieces of angel running with the cutouts. I'd just tie the two braces you already have spanning the underside together.  

My table is similar and when I was welding the top plate to the angle at the cutout. It started to sag from the heat. 

Hi millhand, yeah I was planning on adding crossbracing around the firepot hole. I am still undecided if I want to center the hole or if it should be closer to the nearside of the forge which is why I have not put them in yet. As well I haven't confirmed the firepot size. I was thinking 8" ×8" and 3.5" deep but I am wondering if that is too deep. I have seen a lot of homemade firepot being rectangular so the other option is to go 8"x10" but that is getting pretty big

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress today. Got the firepot half welded together and the tuyere built. Only in the shop for a couple hours today. Hopefully will get the rest of the firepot ash dump and clinker breaker done tomorrow and get the hole cut in the table for it. Firepot is 4" square on the bottom, 8" square on the top and 3.5 inches deep. 2" air hole. 

20170204_170410.jpg

20170204_170420.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been a couple weeks. Down with the flu last weekend so I was not able to work. Got some done yesterday though. Firepot in and tuyere built. Clinkerbreaker is in and the ash dump. So I just need a paint job on the tuyere and legs of the table and she is done!! Going to make and modified sidesucker hood next and we will have irons in the fire!! So excited to see that this is coming together! One decision yet to make is for the blower stand. Don't know if I should make a bracket that hooks right onto the forge table, or make it stand alone beside the forge. Any input is appreciated. 

20170218_125331.jpg

20170218_123540.jpg

20170218_125314.jpg

20170218_125247.jpg

• 1 month later...

hey all, been a while since the last update. getting very close now. was out sick for the better part of 2 weeks, and then was away for work. I have about 3 or so hours left on getting this project done. since the last update I built a super sucker style hood. and added it on. this is the only picture i have at the moment but will add a few more once the blower stand is done next week. thanks for hanging in there. It is installed on a less than ideal 6" pipe (20f t tall) , but I will have you know that surprisingly it draws. I too am a little baffled about it, but perhaps the height and the fact that the nearest obstacle from the windward side is over 100 yrds away plays into it. Will be nice to get this project done and actually burn some coal. been a long time.

20170313_123909.jpg

Thanks Frosty!! I must admit it was not the cheapest build. Probably around $500 Canadian pesos. Will post some more pics following the first firing. She blows air now, but we will see how well she chooches. Wish I had time to test it tonight but alas dad duties call. Here are the promised final pics of the install. And details below

Table: 3/16 plate 36 x 48

Firepot : 8 x 8 x 3.5 inches deep from 1/4 hot rolled steel

Hand made tuyere from random box tube and such. Custom pineapple twist handle on the ashdump cut off my first rr spike project. 

Thompson blower: vintage 1900 ish. (Canadian equivalent to a buffalo I hear) 

Super sucker side draft hood made from 12 GA sheet metal. 

All put together with a crappy tire (harbor freight type) Mastercraft 80amp Flux core welder. This was my first time welding. I probably could have started with an easier project but hey it works! 

Added a tool rack at the end for my hammers and tongs. Will probably put another one on the opposite end as well. All that is left to do is drop the sheetmetal in for the cooling rack below the table . Minor detail. Please do let me know what you all think. And thanks for the opportunity to share!

20170320_202800.jpg

20170320_202815.jpg

20170320_202807.jpg

can't wait to see some shots of it in action. i have plans for something very similar myself and was considering a side draft just like you have there.

like the took rack on the end bu maybe you want to think about adding a few pegs on the front for the tool your currently using to hang on. i could see myself getting sick of having to slide the handles in and out everytime and end up leaving things laying on the bench near fire and end up ruining the temper on things.

Hey PapaDooks, I have a bunch of left over 12 ga that is am going to make into a long narrow tray a couple inched deep that hooks on the front lip of the table for keeping my tongs/punches/hardy that are in active use for the project. it will be of a size that i can remove it and hook it on behind the hood if for some reason it is in the way or otherwise annoying me. good idea though about the pegs. might have to make a few of them in the same style so I can move things around as i figure out where the best place for things are...

That rack looks great, but not for hammers -- for TONGS.

Central principle of organizing your workspace: keep things near where they will be used. Think about how you'll be working: workpiece heats in the fire, you pick it up with tongs, work on it, return it to the fire. If your tongs are right next to your fire, you can grab the pair you need without having to turn away to look for it, and when you're done, you can drop it back on the rack easily and quickly.

A better place for a hammer rack is within easy reach of the anvil, so that you can grab the hammer you need for the job (or even change hammers mid-job) with minimal time wasted on turning, locating, grabbing, and moving back to the work.

(Full disclosure: my own hammer rack is in a lousy position relative to my anvil and vise. However, I just moved my tong storage from a freestanding rack to the left of my forge to a bar like yours on the right (I'm right-handed) and have been kicking myself for not doing that sooner.

great tip!! And I will take as many as I can get. this is the first time I have set up a proper (and I use the term loosely) smithy. still not sure if the blower should be on the table like it is, or if I should build a stand for it. as for hammers, I have seen some people with racks right on the stump, but am unsure if they would get in the way there. all trial and error at this point. I do plan on using that rack for tongs. once i actually have a few sets. that is the first order of business next weekend. starting from scratch as the tongs I was using previous were on loan from a smith friend of mine. will have to make a few sets pronto. 

First firing today!! Exciting to have a forge fire up for the first time. Despite only having a 6" chimney, she socks rather well. Here are a few pics for you all. Finally I can start to contribute to other threads now! 

20170326_130753.jpg

20170326_134640.jpg

Greetings Camerican,

Looks like you have built yourself a great little forge that will serve you well for many years.  Now comes the curmudgeon . I would work on hammer control and try to keep your thumb off the top of your hammer handle. You will find that after continuous forging you will do damage to your hand..Just an old boys 2c. Keep up the great work. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

33 minutes ago, Jim Coke said:

I would work on hammer control and try to keep your thumb off the top of your hammer handle. You will find that after continuous forging you will do damage to your hand..Just an old boys 2c. Keep up the great work. 

well spoted jim. got better eyes then me i had to scroll back and have another look :D

Great looking forge, Camerican.  Looks like it draws perfectly.  Well done!  Yeah, the thumb-on-the-hammer-handle is hard to break sometimes.  You might consider configuring some sort of hold-down(s) for your anvil to stabilize it...bars, straps, spikes, hooks, etc.,etc.  Look through IFI and you will find a myriad of ways to do it.  If your anvil rings badly, try wrapping some heavy chain, like 3/8", around it a few times.

I have been tossing around ideas for holding down the anvil. I am thinking just some flat bar with a couple holes punched and lag bolts. Pics don't show it but I have magnets on the front side of the anvil which deaden the ring quite well. Those buckworth anvils ring like a bell. It really is a nice sound but probably not good for the ears all day. This was just an impulse day. Couldn't well fire up the forge without hitting any hot metal. Thanks for all of the positive feedback gents!