littleblacksmith

What Did You do in the Shop Today?

rose.thumb.jpg.98298ad080775e68f24a0515fce774ab.jpg

59c40b64a9e8e_rose2.thumb.jpg.4c7ad24ad5b980488741d61775f1b123.jpgopener1.thumb.jpg.03b6f214934c35818cf8a4f445e99d2d.jpg

I made a big "elf" leaf, my first forge weld, a small leaf/twist/bottle opener failure, my first attempt at a rolled Rose, and finished my "Seax". It won't let me post pictures from my phone for some reason, so I'll update this later.

Not very good, but I said I'd post pictures.

elfleaf.jpg

Frosty   

You're running too hot Randell, that's the look of burned steel. Put your steel higher in the fire give it and Less air.

Frosty The Lucky.

Second attempt at a bottle opener is going much better.

It appears I will have training wheels on for quite a while.

Acquiring quite a bit of respect for those who have mastered this art of moving metal.

IMG_6381.JPG

IMG_6383.JPG

IMG_6385.JPG

IMG_6389.JPG

IMG_6390.JPG

JHCC   

More roadkill: about a foot and a half of 3/8" x 3" leaf spring. I'm thinking guillotine....

IMG_3490.JPG

The wife and I got our new anvil stand complete. We raised it about 2 inches. It is much better now. I also built a vise stand for our little bench vise. And the wife is working on sculpting the bicks on our rr anvil.

That pendulum is cool. Can we have a closer pic of the pivot mechanism please?

I thought it would need a bearing to pivot, but it is very simple. A round stock welded to the shaft 1 inch higher than the balance point and it just rocks back & forth on the 2 pieces of round stock.

100_1863.thumb.JPG.a628ddb5c3a2a057c23ecf0bd3d257d6.JPG

ausfire   

I thought it would need a bearing to pivot, but it is very simple. A round stock welded to the shaft 1 inch higher than the balance point and it just rocks back & forth on the 2 pieces of round stock.

Thanks. Looks too simple to be true! Very clever.

More roadkill: about a foot and a half of 3/8" x 3" leaf spring. I'm thinking guillotine....

Reminds me of a piece of leaf spring that showed up in the driveway after we had a load of soil delivered. The awesome thing about having a bumpy driveway, is the presents that some people leave you.:ph34r:

Trying to get the basics consistent so I can feel right calling myself a blacksmith. Working on my scrolls, curls and twists. Made a J hook with a twist and an S hook with a twist. Also put some more time into a knife I've been working on, and made a small axe pendant for the girlfriend.

20170924_142958.jpg

it's black, you smote it. You're a blacksmith. The level of your experience doesn't deny you the title

Appreciate it. It's a mental thing I guess. It's weird learning a trade backwards. I can make knives and armor, but I'm still learning how to do things like tongs and these little hooks. Proficiency in the basics is something I require of myself, despite experiences with more advanced techniques.

Looks like you're starting to get the hang of it. The axe pendant is really clever. As for the knife, are you planning on straightening the tang? It's hard to drill a curved hole in a handle!:)

JHCC   

Made a cross for a friend whose husband is in hospice for glioblastoma. First time working wrought iron. 

IMG_3503.JPG

Jim Coke   

Greetings Randell,

Just an old boys 2c.. It looks to me that you are working your metal to hot.. Bright orange to yellow and heavy brushing between heats  would yield a much smoother surface..  Practice practice practice..  You will do well.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

I recently acquired a brush - a proper butcher-block brush with flat "bristles" - and it's done a world of good in the finish of forged products. A wire brush is better than nothing, but a butcher-block brush/scraper really smooths things out, removes scale, and even smooths some tool marks.

Gergely   

Working on two big knives. Blade length is 8", width 2,5". Spring steel (56Si7). 

Also made earlier a karambit from a Trabant leafspring - "Trabambit". went with the folded loop instead of punching it.

Bests:

Gergely

2017 09 ket nagy kes es karambit.jpg

2017 09 vass t vadaszkes3.jpg

Looks like you're starting to get the hang of it. The axe pendant is really clever. As for the knife, are you planning on straightening the tang? It's hard to drill a curved hole in a handle!:)

No, gonna split the handle and chisel it out, the put it back together. No external pins

Greetings Randell,

Just an old boys 2c.. It looks to me that you are working your metal to hot.. Bright orange to yellow and heavy brushing between heats  would yield a much smoother surface..  Practice practice practice..  You will do well.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Yeah, working on acquiring one of the good brushes. Until then I'm doing my best with the old wire brush, water to pop scale, and a brass brush to finish.