littleblacksmith

What Did You do in the Shop Today?

788 posts in this topic

I worked some rebar. No, not a knife or anything like that. Just a short column for reinforcing a concrete post (I know, almost shocked me too! :o Rebar for concrete?!) I'll be mounting a, yet to be made, arbor onto for my grapes.

Just now, John in Oly, WA said:

I'll be mounting a, yet to be made, arbor onto for my grapes.

Will you be forging the grapes? John Bennett has some good YouTube videos on forging vines, leaves, and grapes.

Not forging grapes - I'll let the grape plants make those.

I'm mulling the idea of using all the scrap steel fence posts I have and heating, twisting and forging them into an organic, vine or tree trunk with leaves kind of look for the actual arbor. I'll check those videos - thanks!

A square center punch made from 7/8" coil spring, a surprise for someone. I kinda screwed it up, by that I tried doing something different with the striking end, using a set hammer and the edge of the anvil to forge it octagonaly (new word). It got a little wonkey, choppy, and rombusy, all three my least favorite. Man, JHCC is gonna be all over me for this post. Hahaha.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6367[1].JPG

IMG_6368[1].JPG

5 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

A square center punch made from 7/8" coil spring, a surprise for someone. I kinda screwed it up, by that I tried doing something different with the striking end, using a set hammer and the edge of the anvil to forge it octagonaly (new word). It got a little wonkey, choppy, and rombusy, all three my least favorite. Man, JHCC is gonna be all over me for this post. Hahaha.

Littleblacksmith

Dude, "octagonally" is spelled with two "L"s. 

Nice punch!

:P

Thanks!

Littleblacksmith

LBS, that look really good! Tools like center puches are constantly used but I, nor many other smiths, think the embellish them. Nice thinking. 

Got to take a break from repairing a windmill today to do a little traditional blacksmith work on a modern tool. Straightened out a part for my neighbors plow that was getting re-disked. Largest piece of steel I've hammered on, 3/4"x 6"x not sure how long. It was bent along the entire length. 

IMG_2067.JPG

LBS, you are too hard on yourself. That is a lovely diamond twist to embellish your centre punch. Well done!

9 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

:P

Thanks!

Littleblacksmith

You're welcome!

(Oh, and I didn't want to make a big stink about this, but "wonky" doesn't have an "e". ;) ) 

Ranchmanben; was that piece heat treated any originally? (what was the carbon content of it, I've run across a lot of old implement steel that ranged from 1050 to 1080---back before some of the weird new alloys were used.)

Not the best for your creativity but these things help pay the bills :) If anyone recognizes this part in the second picture, please tell me its name. Thanks!

Bests:

Gergely

592489a822348_201705vonorud1.thumb.jpg.23a2b9ccd782e06085bd19ba3e422a25.jpg

592489aa54f95_201705vonorud2.thumb.jpg.f3c99c222dcf81e264833d584398a69a.jpg

Wagon tongue?