I Forge Iron

And It Began To Rain

Anachronist58

Well, I want to s start out by saying that this in no way compares to the heartbreak experienced by many across this continent and the globe. Just an inconvenience in the larger scheme of things.

My house was built on "stilts", after a fashion, in the middle of a creek ditch.

When it rains long enough, and hard enough, two catchment levies overtop, and the water follows its course. Yesterday at 1:00 p.m., the gauge hit two inches, and the levies overtopped. Instead of running through the smithy, it found a critter hole, went to ground, under the neighbor's barn, to pop up again and bypass the smithy. Very Nice!

Woo hoo! Don't get much better than that!

Well came home from my shift this morning 3-3/4" in the gauge. 5" deep of water at the head, pushed down my berms, and ran mud through the entire "shop".

20170120_124145.jpg

20170121_125614.jpg

Sure was nice while it lasted!

20170121_131119.jpg

20170121_125654.jpg

20170121_131131.jpg

Sure hope the shoes are pointed in the right direction?

The west creek ditch is still running, so this will be tested tonight :blink:.

Robert the duck Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
Post Assembly

That's rough Robert. Gopher hole thing was pretty funny but afterwards...ugh.  

I live at the bottom of a hill and things can get bad when it rains enough. While my shop is fine, my house is the target. I have slowly been working at fixing drainage issues.  

My shop is also at the bottom of a hill, and so it can get really soggy down there. The issue I have isn't so much drainage, but just that things aren't covered real well, and so EVERYTHING gets soaked and rusted when it rains. Really stinks.

Littleblacksmith

• 1 month later...