I Forge Iron

no idea where to start

So I moved a year ago from our family farm to the city. I rent the upstairs of a 2 story and have a shared back yard. I want to build something to stay our of the elements but being rented property, in town, It can't be permanent.  Iv thought about something like a teepee but I think that would stand out too much lol I don't need alot of space. Does anyone have any ideas?

A tepee is a good option, but you should also consider either a semi-permanent shed (something that could be disassembled and removed if/when you move away) or simply forging outside. As long as your gear is protected from the elements when you're not forging (e.g., wrapped in tarps and bungee cord), you should be fine.

The advantage of a tepee or shed is that you can forge in inclement weather more than you can en plein air, especially since you don't get excessive cooling of the metal from any wind that happens to blow through. If your area is relatively sheltered, though, that may not be as much of a problem.

I was leaning twards the teepee also bc I can get 6x8 foot tarps from Walmart for $2 each. I'm just not sure if that would be a good idea bc of them being plastic and likely to deteriorate in a year or two. Plus the size I would need to work a fire in would be tall. The car ports I feel are too large also and expensive for what you actually get. Maybe I'm just being too picky. I'll get a pic of the yard maybe this weekend to give you an idea of what I'm working with, it's not ideal. I miss the farm so bad :(

You may want to look into using posts for support, and pallets make the walls. Make it modular using sections that are 2 pallets tall and one pallet wide. Make the frame strong enough to stand alone and the wall sections are just for decoration. Come time to move, you just pull the pallet sections (walls) and load them into a truck. 

one other large factor: "city"!   You may not be able to get away with "country style" building approximations.  I've had at least one student who's smithing got shut down by code enforcement in a city, (well not shut down, he could still do it, he just needed to file for a burning permit 10 working days beforehand and pay a $25 fee each time...)

Well I'll keep my eyes open for some pallets but in the meantime I'm going to to cut some trees at my father's land this weekend and see how a teepee goes for a temp shelter. And yes thomas, that's one thing I'm worried about. I hate that they are so strict obout little things. My fiance got a $60 parking ticket bc of the winter parking ban on a night that it wasn't even close to snowing and a few years back, I had my camaro ,witch was obviously a race car, get impounded out of my mom's back yard bc it didn't have plates on it...

A lot depends on the neighbors, when I lived in the city I had someone call the fire department on me multiple times.  By shear luck when the pumper truck wedged itself in our narrow alley each time they found I had been using my small smoker to cook---for real!---as Columbus OH had an exception in the fire rules for cooking (and one for heating as well).  I never even had a warning. (and I was told under the table that the person who kept calling the FD on me was warned that the next false alarm would cost them US$1100, never had another callout!)

On the other hand when the building catty cornered from my detached garage/smithy caught fire it took a while for it to get called in as "we thought it was just you forging"   Can't believe folks couldn't tell between coal smoke and building smoke! Oh well it made a better empty lot anyway...And I did get some charcoal from it too.

How urban is the new place? How big is your backyard? How stealthy will you have to be?

You could do a quick adobe with straw bales and some mud, and that would be easy to remove when needed. I used 55 gallon drums on their side, and welded them together to form walls that are 8'Hx10'Wx3'D They are self supporting, provide storage, and have withstood 50mph winds.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:08 AM, RobertThoreson said:

So I moved a year ago from our family farm to the city.

mistake #1 moved to city  #2 shared backyard.  good luck pacifying the downstairs people to say nothing of neighbors with a smoking, noisy Tepee.  They want to have friends over for a BBQ in the yard and there is a Tepee out there!

What if the shoe was on the other foot and someone wanted to move it  into  your share backyard and you had 0 interest or understanding of Blacksmithing?

Best of Luck.