I Forge Iron

Id? And I messed up my stand build!

Millhand

It's jaws are just under 7" and it's about 150 lbs.   

Built the mount in super tired/distracted mode and swapped the top plate from 1/2 plate to 3/16 c channel last min without making up the difference. Mount will be secured to the floor with 4 anchors. 

Now my post sets on the floor without anything under it.  All sets level and all, I just can't get anything under it.  

Found that round clamp in my pile and had to beat it on the bottom of the post.  May just leave it as is. The  Post looks to have set in soil for many years anyway and the floor it's distended for has been though a fire so it's already in bad shape.

Ideas? Leave as is or shim under the top Mount? 

20170101_200938.jpg

20170119_181247.jpg

4 minutes ago, WoodnMetalGuy said:

Or maybe make an additional, bigger base plate that would go under the existing base plate and the post as well?  -- Dave

That is my suggestion as well. At least, it would be if that vise weren't a total piece of crap. But don't worry: if you send it to me, I will be happy to dispose of it for you.

Can always make a bigger base plate and just adjust height of the vise.  Current setting appears to allow vise to lower, but not raise up, so larger base plate will work.  However I do prefer to have the post tied to something solid as well to prevent it walking under load.

Lol!!! I'll leave the counter weight out  for ya Dave but you may want to bring a side of beef for kuojo a electrician to unhook the 220 and Jim from the original star trec to disable the force field! 

Bigger base it is! I'll post a pic of why I was reluctant to go that route.  Pure laziness or maybe I just like the way  back works at the moment haha! 

Thx for the jokes this am I needed em! 

Only piece I have to cut a base out of is still a full sheet.  

1484926174797-1338676008.jpg

I'm a huge fan of round flat base plates for stand tools especially leg vises. First they're very stable without having to bolt it down and make a permanent fixture of the tool. It's easy to keep it from moving no matter how hard you're reefing on things, stand on the base plate. If you grind a downward angled bevel the edge of the plate it greatly reduces the trip hazard. Lastly it makes the tool easy to move just tip it on edge ad roll it where ever you want it. 1/2" plate in a 36" disk makes a dandy base plate, I haven't tried thinner.

I seriously HATE semi brake drums, wheels and worse wheels with the tire! They're serious trip hazards and make it impossible to work close to the tool. Of course that's just me I don't use your shop.

Frosty The Lucky.

15 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I'm a huge fan of round flat base plates for stand tools especially leg vises. First they're very stable without having to bolt it down and make a permanent fixture of the tool. It's easy to keep it from moving no matter how hard you're reefing on things, stand on the base plate. If you grind a downward angled bevel the edge of the plate it greatly reduces the trip hazard. Lastly it makes the tool easy to move just tip it on edge ad roll it where ever you want it. 1/2" plate in a 36" disk makes a dandy base plate, I haven't tried thinner.

I seriously HATE semi brake drums, wheels and worse wheels with the tire! They're serious trip hazards and make it impossible to work close to the tool. Of course that's just me I don't use your shop.

Frosty The Lucky.

Agreed Completely, Think I'll cut a large square base out of that half inch plate.  Round would be nice but seems like a waste of material in this instance.  Thanks frosty 

20 hours ago, Millhand said:

Lol!!! I'll leave the counter weight out  for ya Dave but you may want to bring a side of beef for kuojo a electrician to unhook the 220 and Jim from the original star trec to disable the force field! 

Jeepers Millhand....If your going to add all those conditions, I guess I'll have to save myself all the trouble of a road trip to help ya out.                Dave

Looks pretty heavy duty. I'm torn between using steel or wood for my upright piece, I have a big chunk of 12X12 fir 36" tall that I could secure to a 36" diameter 1/2" plate I have using some big 3/16" straps I got for free yesterday. Or I could use some 8x8 sidewalk drain I have also and make a plate top. I wonder if the wood would offer any advantage?

This is where I stopped yesterday, I added a piece of 4" c channel to add strength. I was surprised at how much I could twist the I-beam by hand just by twisting on the top plate.  

Thanks for the base plate idea guys.  It will be easy to move yet stable for heavy work. 

Bigb I would probably use the fir myself. I was going to use Wood but had this short piece of I beam laying around.  The key is mating the wood to the steel base and top plate securely. 

20170120_182140.jpg

Well it seems my 3 foot diameter piece of 1/2" plate walked (or rolled) away. I knew right where it was for the last couple years and went to get it today and it was gone. I still have some 3/8" ones but I really wanted to use 1/2".

This doesn't have really have anything to do with this thread, but I love your profile picture Millhand! some of those are mighty big! I trust you don't own all of them?

Littleblacksmith

15 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

This doesn't have really have anything to do with this thread, but I love your profile picture Millhand! some of those are mighty big! I trust you don't own all of them?

Littleblacksmith

I don't own any of them, a gentleman was just nice enough to let me get my picture taken in his anvil throne! Those are all 500+ pounders.  Was my birthday to boot lol 

She is getting closer! Paint is still wet.  So damp and chilly here.  Never quite seen a January like this.  Paint is very slow to dry. 

Put some tool holders and a spot for my files.  Hoping to have a organized shop when I get it up and running.

After starting this journey down blacksmith road and starting to put together a new shop. I have came to appreciate everything I have. I'm the tool nazi at work.  Organizing and coming unglued when something is not in its place and clean at the end of the day.  

1485212681037-1408247370.jpg

1485212725420-87175394.jpg

I like it.  The chain edging should prevent chisels & whatnot from vibrating off the shelf; still lets the grime & filings be brushed out.  If it's welded solid at alternating links, you may wind up using it for handy twisting holes on small stock.  Consider that little gem stolen.

12 hours ago, aessinus said:

I like it.  The chain edging should prevent chisels & whatnot from vibrating off the shelf; still lets the grime & filings be brushed out.  If it's welded solid at alternating links, you may wind up using it for handy twisting holes on small stock.  Consider that little gem stolen.

Your more than welcome to it :) I've been trying to avoid places that Slag will build up and not be easy to clean.  I did weld alternating links originally thinking it would be a good place to store files n such.  But I'm sure plenty will get bent in the links. 

10 hours ago, Farmall said:

Steve at the Blacksmith Barn does have a nice anvil throne!

Yes he does! Great guy as well.  Went out of his way to help me with information on a family heirloom anvil I was given.

Oh yeah almost forgot, post vice is home. Almost starting to look like a blacksmith shop.

20170124_210322.jpg