I Forge Iron

Alternatives to Oxy acetylene

RobbieG, there are other alternatives to bottle rental in the UK, "hobbyweld", available in NI (and maybe others), supply welding gases on much the same basis as butane and propane suppliers, ie. one off payment for the bottle and you take it for exchange/refill as and when you need. Give it a google it may work out in your favour dependant on yuor consumption.

On 4/13/2017 at 5:27 PM, bubba682 said:

Thomas i went and did some researchin on propane and flashback arrestors couldn't find me books so i googled lol anyway your 7th grade shop teacher was kinda right but kinda not anyway heres the scoop propane being used on its own does not require arrestors ie bbq tank because of its state and atmosphere.Once its hooked up to a oxy /fuel gas system ie torch regulators they are required because of the chance oxygen can enter the propane tank and cause a pressure spike or introduce a spark.Also there cheap and can save your life and if anybody ever came on a site im working on without them in burn gear you would be run by safety guarenteed or charged by the government inspectors. 

Anyway im not tryin to be difficult but to me safety comes first in my shop at home or work and if someone don't want to run them on burn gear then you shouldn't be allowed to own it.

If you are really worried about safety then only use type T hose. Thomas already explained why flashback arrestors are not required for Oxy-Propane.

Bubba: How about not relying on complete strangers on the internet's opinions? Folk here have explained the basics of safely using propane and or acet. equipment. All the manufacturer and FD recommendations say NEVER use the same regulators for acetylene if they've been used for another flammable gas. EVEN if they ARE muti-fuel regs and hoses and no I don't know why it's just a pretty hardline don't do it in my manuals.

I recommend you hit your local welding supply and ask for modern books, they're give aways at "Aire Liquide" And "Weld Air" here in Wasilla. I've never had to buy a welding text book or reference manual. I think they make up the difference selling copies of Machinist's and fabrication manuals and references.

Just go to the source and get information you'll trust. Will YOU be able to change what you've been doing for 30 years if oh say the AWS says you shouldn't do THAT?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty:I will take a run into licky air and take a look at the regs cause it has been awhile but i was under the assumption we were talkin about spark arresters not regulators but hey  I;ve been runnin propane thru my gear for along time.I havn't run acytelene in years and when i switched to propane new hoses,arresters and tip all bought new at the dealers went on the gear.I never asked about the regulators and the sales guy never said nothing but that is on me to ask specifically and back then i probally just asked what i needed to get goin cause basically it came down to cost and propain was cheaper than acyt for cutin.Back then there was no do diligance as there is now at least i didn't hear of it in industry till mid to late 90's until it became law.

Also i've been mostly workin on the road for the last dozen years and i hav'nt been usin my shop alot until latly so i think i will go get some up to date manuals to see whats changed.On the road in indurstrial we don't see oxy propane burn gear just oxy acc up hear anyway the only time we see propane is a tiger torch and there not allowed in a live plant only new construction

Anyway theres nuthing wrong with getting refreshed and caught up on things i havn't used or thought about in years...