I Forge Iron

Herb chooper

BlasterJoe

This was one of two I made. The other one turned out better but cracked when quenching. The handle looks like it has a crack but is just a cold shut from drawing it out with the teeth on the rasp. Next time I will defiantly grind out the teeth. looks pretty rough. Has anyone else made these and did you clean the rasp up more before forging? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's a cool piece. I don't understand files. I've got hundreds of them but they do weird things in the forge. I would like to try something like BJ's chopper and I think I could forge the shape, but just no confidence in the stuff.

I actually forged one of these out this weekend myself. I used a piece for 52100 bearing steel but i have used files in the past. If you can, try to at least get the part close to the blade edge (maybe the bottom 3/4" of the piece) ground down smooth as this is used food and stuff can get stuck in the nooks and crannys of a rasp and can be annoying to clean. The top part though is awesome to keep the teeth shown for 2 reasons, first people like to see that something came from something else, it makes it a conversation piece and second the little texture there provides a nice grip suface when in use.  Over all this looks excellent i must  well done!