I Forge Iron

A matter of right and wrong

C-1ToolSteel

I think it's about time that we address a very important subject relating to no other tool than the one that we spend so much time hammering over, bending over, cutting over, etc. The anvil. I'm not trying to start a debate on the "best brand", "best size", or "best pattern", but rather taking a survey of how we are pronouncing the actual name. This is a subject that I am rather passionate about. How do YOU pronounce this word. Do you pronounce it with the second syllable rhyming with *hill* or *full*? I know that we are all diferent, so I will keep this as unbiased as a possibly can. Personally I pronounce it the RIGHT way which is #2:)

There is no universal "right way" to pronounce anvil or many other terms. There are regional differences and national dialects.

Mr. Stevens cogently points out that he has a regional "drawl" and that is a correct pronunciation for his part of the country.

The dialect in Boston, Ma. and New York City. N.Y. is probably different, as it will be in Ontario, or Quebec,

Canada, or England for example.

SLAG.

Option two. All the way. Never will I say "anvill". Just doesn't sound right at all!

Littleblacksmith

12 hours ago, SLAG said:

Mr. Stevens cogently points out that he has a regional "drawl" and that is a correct pronunciation for his part of the country.

The dialect in Boston, Ma. and New York City. N.Y. is probably different, as it will be in Ontario, or Quebec,

Canada, or England for example.

Left out was NJ, and a couple of different dialects in Maine alone, us Native Vermonters (those few of us left) have our own as well.  I know my way of "VIL" like village is the correct way  and the rest are all wrong.  That should start it rolling along can't wait for the njanvilman and frosty's reply!!!!!:rolleyes: 

What if it didn't have a name?

Would you be able to work over it?

What do you call yours when the horn attacks your hip? I don't whisper sweet nothings in its hardy hole. Villainous Anne?

I'd be banned down the road if I shared even the some of the more kind names I've come up for my anvils. 

I never really thought bout this before, but I think I say it like Option #2. According to the Oxford American Desk Dictionary, it's supposed to be Option #1 (it only lists one pronunciation). I guess I'm wrong a lot, lol. I always say swage like rage, probably because I first learned that word from a book and therefore wasn't influenced by the local dialect.  As for tuyere, that's French I believe, so we'll have to defer to them on that, unless it's an American spelling/corruption like tue or twear (rhymes with shoe and smear).... I never did get the hang of the French u sound, so I just pronounce it too-yair. But yup, a rose by any other name, so long as we all halfway understand each other! :) 

No problem. I and a bunch of us out there (and in here) say "enclume"

On 15/01/2017 at 10:57 PM, Charles R. Stevens said:

#2, but I have a bit of a drawl...

Charles, please, am I to understand what you mean when you say "a bit of a drawl" the same way I understood the young lady when she said "I am a little pregnant"?