I Forge Iron

Textured jaws

Zeroclick

Hi so I have been working on my post vise today and I have noticed that the jaws are textured. I was wondering what the best way to deal with this is. I have seen a couple of posts about using angle pieces but I would like to have it set so I don't have to insert anything into the jaws.

Thanks,

Zero

Measure a piece of copper pipe the width of the jaws plus a little. Slit the pipe the long way and hammer it out to flat. Put the two pieces of flat copper in the vise, align at the bottom of the jaw, clamp and then bend the top over the jaw. Tuck the sides up against the sides of the jaw. Copper is a soft material and will not mark your work.

These are made pretty much to Glenn's spec, except for the latch bend, which goes over the top, instead of the sides, as a post vise would  require. Easy to make, following Glenn's clear instructions. Use your smithing skills to obtain a firm yet removable fit.

If you need wear resistance, (solder) some thin steel sheet between just the jaw faces and the copper.

Robert Taylor

20170115_141245.jpg

2 hours ago, Zeroclick said:

Hi so I have been working on my post vise today and I have noticed that the jaws are textured.

Look at wood working vise, the jaws are smooth so they do not mark the wood.

A metal vise has texture for general purpose gripping and holding. For cold items in a metal vise, that you do not want to mark, use a radiator hose the width of the jaws and sliced the long way. It provides good gripping and holding with no marks.

3 hours ago, KRS said:

I use angle iron with stops to the left and right to prevent them from sliding out and for soft jaws aluminium profile. Or you can cut some sheet metal, place it in the vice and hammer it all around.  

KRS - do you have a picture of your set-up?

Robert Taylor

On 16.1.2017 at 2:10 AM, Anachronist58 said:

KRS - do you have a picture of your set-up?

Robert Taylor

Aluminium angle iron:

8GJrjxY.jpg

80kg leg vice with back support jaws ( got a bunch different jaws, those are new as I got the vice recently):

EnC8UfW.jpg

Another style with a V-notch to hold Pipe, I swear its a set but I could not find the second one when I took the pictures today (bought)

iBLQo40.jpg

Phone pictures in a hurry, sorry bout that.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...