I Forge Iron

Coal in northern Michigan?

Anyone know where a guy can get coal up here in de swamp? I found a source but he's a 3 and a half hour drive. I live in  North West Michigan. 

Pic is a bug.  Everytime I post a old post pops up. Do love the temper on that weight though lol 

1483402173410-1718885444.jpg

Have you checked the Yellow pages, the real paper ones are better if you need to start calling folk after doing a web search. Look for coal, blacksmithing supplies and farrier supplies lastly call a farrier. If the people you call don't carry coal chances are they'll know who does. Be specific, if you just ask for coal you'll get furnace/heating coal.

Not all farriers use coal anymore, propane is more efficient, faster and cheaper with a minimal fire hazard but there are still farriers who use coal and they'll be known characters amongst the other shoers.

Frosty The Lucky.

Isn't dat da the UP? Lol!!   I reside with the trolls below the bridge :(  

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Are you in Northern Michigan, or the upper part of Lower Michigan? ;)  Can't help you below da Bridge.  There's no good source in the part of Michigan north of Northern Michigan.

thx frosty.  I haven't tried the farriers yet. With the huge influx of Amish ,there has to be coal close.   I'll check with them to. 

11 hours ago, firefarm39 said:

Millhand, I know there is a fellow in Kalkaska that has coal for sale.  Have you checked with MABA (Michigan Artist Blacksmith's Association)?

Oh cool, thanks! I will do that.  I've been thinking I need to sign up for the MABA.

Greetings Millhand, 

What town in Mich. do you live? I have been a member of MABA since it started. Great group of folks.. I live in Cadillac/ Lake City and if I can help you in any way just ask. Did you build the firepot? 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

49 minutes ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Millhand, 

What town in Mich. do you live? I have been a member of MABA since it started. Great group of folks.. I live in Cadillac/ Lake City and if I can help you in any way just ask. Did you build the firepot? 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Thank you for the generous offer! Once I get my shop in working order I'll definitely take you up on that :) I live in luther.

Yep, I built the pot. Could have been better if I'd have spent some time drafting it.  Just went to town with some soapstone and the torches. It had a last minute grown spert. lol