I Forge Iron

Anvil ID x 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 9:59 PM, Scrambler82 said:

I waited to post just to see if someone else made a comment.

I looked at the under horn and the under heel pictures in post 1 when they were first posted and again a second time a while later and a third time just now and I really need to ask...  " Are the Handling Holes real" ?

Something looks off, almost like a black marker !

If I am wrong and someone gets offended I apologize but it still looks funny.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The one does look a little funky, but they were real enough to put my finger in.  I sold it, so I can't post better pics....sorry.   I still have the originals on my phone, and there I can zoom in enough so see the dirt/oil/grit in the hole, and the irregular edge to it as well.

On 3/13/2017 at 8:31 PM, arkie said:

Post a picture when you get the horn dressed, so folks can see that you can do a little detail work WITHOUT using a grinder...;)

While I like a good challenge, and have been slowly teaching myself to do hand-cut file checkering for gunsmith work, and would like to try my filing skills on the anvil, it may be going to a new home before I get to that.  I was waiting for the weather to break to get my setup in order...still need a forge and a bunch of other stuff.  Tonight  I put a deposit on a brand new 330lb Refflinghouse #57 that a friend has locally.  He imported a #57 and #58 and is only keeping one so I'm planning to sell the HB to help pay for that.  It's overkill, I'm sure, but I was able to do a partial trade for a very cool vintage Wilton vise as part of the deal, so it was too good to pass up.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a 130lb Vulcan over the weekend and hope to pick up the 330lb Refflinghaus next weekend.  With the Refflinghaus on the way I was torn on buying the Vulcan, but the price was reasonable, and it's in pretty darned good condition.

8156045D-CA30-4FFD-A2F0-F1D46D454A0A_zps

Vulcan and Arm and Hammer both used similar arm with a hammer logos; however Arm & Hammer it's stamped into the side of the forged anvil and Vulcan it's cast proud of the side of the cast anvil.  That is clearly a Vulcan as it's squat look also attests to. (Arm and Hammer would have much thinner and longer heels and horns)

G-Man, if you will be ever taking your forge on the road that smaller anvil will be a lot easier to transport than the large one!

1 hour ago, Scrambler82 said:

I like the beefy look of the Anvil !

I can almost pull "Vulcan" out of that mire on the side !

Yeah, I thought it was pretty stout for the weight.  It's got some very minor pitting on the surface that I suspect is really from someone using it improperly, but other than that it's really solid.  I'm going to get that ugly paint off it soon!

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Vulcan and Arm and Hammer both used similar arm with a hammer logos; however Arm & Hammer it's stamped into the side of the forged anvil and Vulcan it's cast proud of the side of the cast anvil.  That is clearly a Vulcan as it's squat look also attests to. (Arm and Hammer would have much thinner and longer heels and horns)

G-Man, if you will be ever taking your forge on the road that smaller anvil will be a lot easier to transport than the large one!

LOL...I hope I don't have to move the big anvil very often! 

I have enough room at my shop that I can set up an inside and outside work area.  I think the inside area will have to be flexible enough that I can move things around, so that would be the smaller anvil.  Still, after I get it all set up I might decide to swap that around....hard to say.

Note that while it looks stout the Vulcan has a cast iron body and so is more fragile than a thinner body'd anvil of wrought iron or cast steel.

Vulcans do have a steel face, but not as thick as the other main brand of steel faced cast iron body anvils the Fishers. Vulcans are a quiet anvil and so inside might be a good place for one!