I Forge Iron

I just must share this...

On January 15, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Glenn said:

You can always return any overcharge, but it is tough to say you under estimated and need more money.

Amen to that one.  I'm working with a customer right now (I sell him parts) who's very experienced estimating office used a fake number as a "placeholder" and forgot to go back and get real pricing for the items.  They put down $ 150 total for parts that add up to more than $ 5000.  Going back to his customer (and suppliers!) after the bids are in to beg for a little more has put this guy in a really awful position on many fronts--he'll have to eat some; he looks amateurish to the customer; anger, finger-pointing, and frustration in his shop; a pounding from the owner for not catching the mistake, and a generally terrible week.

If it's "measure twice and cut once", it should also be "calculate THRICE and bid once"

True that!

I got a bit distracted for the last two days as our heating system broke down in the house. In the middle of an actual winter, with two little kids in the house. Now I try to get the focus back on the job.

Thank you for posting your thoughts, keep them coming.

Bests:

Gergely

• 2 weeks later...

Heading somewhere, hopefully. Planning and calculating is almost done. Today I talked with my experienced blacksmith friend about technical details, realistic numbers and the possibility of getting help from him. An appointment is being scheduled with the costumer for next week. We're getting through the main lines then, and I tell them my price calculation. Then I hope for the best :) 

It's really a tough question which is the better way to start: do this job or not do it. I try to not think about it but let the higher powers decide in this. - If my bid is going to be accepted I try and grow up to this task, if not I try to make better looking nail hooks ;)

Bests to all of you!

Gergely

Yellin opened his first shop (on North 5th Street) in 1909. He moved to the Arch Street location in 1915, got the Federal Reserve job in 1921, doubled his workforce, and expanded the shop in 1922 to handle the increased work. Sadly, the shop no longer exists, as it was torn down a couple of decades ago.

If you're ever in NYC (making the Yellin pilgrimage, as it were), you should also check out the ironwork he did for the Cathedral of St. John the Divine and especially the ironwork -- both interior and exterior -- of the Central Savings Bank (now Apple Bank) at 73rd and Broadway. The Fed is massive and impressive, but the variety of scale and the delicacy of the grillwork at the Central is simply lovely.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Slag!

The meeting went pretty well. :) They liked my technical conceptions. In the last minute (earlier) I decided to forge an element of the smallest item (nightstand) to illustrate a different but technically well managable approach of the work. They liked it very much and accepted my changes in more other items, too. I felt it could be good to show something they can touch with their hands, and it worked good.

I have to wait now for the actual answer but one thing is clear: there is no competition in the costum forge work. So only a bigger capacity fabricator - who can offer real low prices - can outbid me. But then the costumers lost their one-of-a-kind design ideas. Money is big lord, though, so let's see...

Bests and thank you all for your kind help!

Gergely

23 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Do not appear to be over excited, but keep in touch with the customer. Wait a week, and give them a quick call asking how things are going and if there are any questions. Just a polite call, no business.

Yes, sir! Luckily we have other business together with the contact person, so we're meeting next week anyways. I try and stay calm... :)

As I made the budget calculations I better to be calm and find the plus ways to make profit - the human work costs are so high that it's a must to find external resources in the beginning. We have some sources for that, fortunately. Also the "invisible" costs are that frighten me. I have already collected a bunch of those (you can call them "the small things" as well) and just no way I can foresee the amount of those. I have some buffer for them of course...

So stay calm is the motto :)

G

9 hours ago, Gergely said:

I decided to forge an element of the smallest item (nightstand) to illustrate a different but technically well managable approach of the work. They liked it very much

This is a very good idea.

Next week I will have a final meeting about an exterior handrail. Since I go through the exercise of forging some elements of these commissions, those that seem touchy to me with regards to the techniques involved or the shape and/or the texture, the decoration, when I am satisfied and ready to forge the job, I bring the "samples"  to the client. That is the moment where I ask for 50% of the price. 

Yes it is a very good idea 

… would it only be because I do it …

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately nothing has happened since February. Neither positive nor negative. I hear that they are waiting for some tender funds from EU, but those funds have been delayed for months now. (I have an own tender at the same status - should have gotten the decision in the beginning of this year, and still nothing.)

I'm a bit disappointed as I put many days' work into the planning and calculating. But what can you do?... 

The same aplies to the big chandelier project...

If there is something new, I let you know. And anyways I'm very-very thankful for the IFI community helping me in this topic.

Bests:

Gergely