I Forge Iron

I hate the noise and the pinching

yves

4 hours ago, ChrisPTF said:

A thick "O" ring is also a quick, easy solution!

Obviously, my knots are not a quick solution though I must say they are easier to tie than would appear. The time involved is in the tightening.

Nice rope work...

The only noise that really makes me cringe is the sound of a file being slid across another if they are kept in a drawer...working by myself for years never heard it until I had an assistant working with me...his second job was to make a file hanging rack.

Alan

On 1/19/2017 at 3:46 PM, Alwayslearning said:

Good ideas all!  

And Frosty, where do you get waterglass these days?  (Just wanted to hear other options other than feebay, or glamazon)

Water Glass - AKA Sodium Silicate.  What I did was buy some kitty litter in a purple bag at fred meyer maybe "kroger" on the east coast. Doesn't matter the brand but it has to be 100% silica gel- mine was in a purple bag and said amazing something litter.  I already have the Lye - Sodium Hydroxide and I did what this guy does but in a much bigger batch outside:

Got a big 2 gallon bottle of the stuff now and I use it mixed with perlite and fireclay for a cheap forge lining.  I also rub it into my mechanics gloves so i can do metalworking and grinding with them and it doesn't burn holes in them as fast.  Does take awhile to dry but i buy those multipacks of gloves at costco and usually rub some into the mesh parts of a few pairs.  When you make it and let it get real thick to store you can pour out a small amount into a small plastic cup and thin it with water to the desired consistency to "paint on to fabric"  that you want to fireproof or fire resist.  Its not a perfect solution but its a relatively cheap one if you are resourceful and keep lye around already. Fabric cant be washed without washing away sodium silicate.  I also rubbed some onto and old pair of jeans so I drape that over my chest when I am cutting  with my metabo angle grinder.  That thing catches me on fire very easily and it gets bothersome to keep checking. 

Hope that helps

On 1/19/2017 at 3:46 PM, Alwayslearning said: