I Forge Iron

I hate the noise and the pinching

yves

I really hate the  noise the handle makes when I let it go. I also dislike the pinching of my fingers and other meat parts around my hand. And its difficult to pull the handle up with the round ends. I further dislike the smell of elastic bands cut off and fallen from the vise's handle when hot iron finds them. So I went overboard, remembered the days when I sailed, and tied a turk's head knot. 

I do not know how long it will last but in the meantime, it works and if I may say so, it's nice to look at. P1070099.JPGP1070103.JPGP1070105.JPG

Yves,

Brilliant idea. Well done.

A Turk's head knot made from non-plastic twine could be soaked in a fire retardant-water solution to make it less likely to burn or char.

Borax comes to mind. But there may be other substances that work better, and are just as cheap.

SLAG.

Great knots and greater idea. I use two tiny silicon washers on each end. Hard for a hotshot to get in anywhere and heat resistant anyway to a degree(don't know exactly how many though!) The bar makes a comforting dull thud rather than an ear splitting clang -isn't it funny though how we can happily clang away on the anvil but hate the vise when it whispers back at us?

Tom.

Glad you people like it.

Slag : I did not feel the necessity to make it fire proof. I still do not. The elastic bands burn on the floor when they cut off. And they do that much too quickly. Never had them burn on the job.

Tommytaptap : the sound of the handle hitting the vise is a noise. The sound of the anvil is a song …

ThomasPowers : the other end of the handle will get a knot made from a piece of rawhide (have it in front of me).

Yves-in my first year at technical college in the metalwork shop, which at age 11 and never having seen one before was somewhat mind blowing; I had the ignorant temerity to allow an engineering vise bar drop unassisted onto the vise and was immediately and violently rapped on my knuckle with a wooden ruler by the professor tutoring us, who then snorted at me, "Boy, do that once more and you will be barred-literally." It was some years later when I realised what he meant but, he meant it! Its only recently my grip has relaxed enough to allow it to fall with a clang but for my ears, the washers do it for me-and for anvil work, the earplugs do the same job. When I want to sing, I am glad I use earplugs-I can sing in tune. But yes, within limits, the anvil does play a song-not as good as my bluegrass tho'    Tom.

1 hour ago, yves said:

I really hate the  noise the handle makes when I let it go. I also dislike the pinching of my fingers and other meat parts around my hand.

Meat Parts! Yikes!  I hate looking at my pulleys and cables. :wacko:

That clang is the sound of a meat chopper and goes right up my spine.

Excellent presentation Yves, and Thomas, I know that move!

Robert Taylor

I like the knots. However, I have taught the following about pinching and good workmanship. One can develop the habit of, when finishing tightening and the handle-hand is above horizontal, do throw it downhill, clang or no clang. This prevents juddering while you're working and avoids pinch. If the handle-hand finishes tightening below horizontal, you're home free; leave it.

I do not find the clank objectionable but my main vises sit on a wooden 1" bench top that does not act as a lodspeaker. I assume it might be noisier if attached to a steel plate of sorts. I might steal the idea of using a turk's head anyway - just for looks.

While all of these are great ideas...it's kind of like the wooden screen door, the one you told the kids for years to stop banging.  I know I'm strange but I love to hear both the older I get.  That big old Parker's handle drops with authority and grace.

Papy

Many people copy Parker's idea of drilling and tapping the spindle so you can put a brass/bronze plug that will make contact with the handle.  You put a small spring behind the plug and a screw behind that.  You can adjust the tension on the handle with the screw as well as compensate for wear.