I Forge Iron

small welding/fab table

No pics yet but I am in the throes of deciding on my table-only a small one at first! 3' by 2'-- 1/2" two plate top and 1 and 1/2" box legs and supports which I can either arc or oa weld. I have been offered some electric heater firebricks for free and have thought to loose lay some on the table to absorb excess heat from any future welding ops. Is this a good/bad/indifferent idea please? These bricks are around 2" thick and about 8" by 6" with a groove running through them that carried the electric element wire. Any other suggestions for use etc. welcome. thanks for looking.

Tom.

Arc weld the table, OA is really only appropriate for special and light weight applications, think muffler installation. Build a shelf supported by the spreaders on the table legs and store the fire bricks there for those times you need fire bricks.

For normal arc welding processes you want a bare steel table for a couple basic reasons. First you can ground the table and not have to work around the ground clamp on the work. Secondly it's much cleaner than fire brick, the brick WILL pulverize under mechanical erosion. Just laying the piece on fire brick will grind some dust off it an fire brick dust is a contaminant in a weld. It's not practical to keep any contamination out of welds but there's no good reason to invite it. It's why there should be a wire brush and air hose hanging on your welding table. Keep the fire brick handy for torch jobs to isolate the table from the flame, warped welding tables are a PITA.

Sure dingle berries (welding spatter) will stick to the table, it's no thing. Most of the time you can just scrape dingle berries off the table with something with an edge. It doesn't need to be sharp whatever handy piece of saw cut mild steel is what I usually use. A disk grinder will shine it up in no time.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks, Thomas and Frosty. Thomas, they are hard, dark brown brick-horrible things really, don't ask me why, they just are! Sure you will have some wisdoms of pearl like things now I've said that-please?

Thomas, okay, arc weld it is.(Built a small boat trailer once many years ago with oa using 3" sq tubing. Bit of a bugger but it worked and is still being used now. Had to go slow to get good welds but did it-not again tho. Great tip on a shelf for bricks-will definitely include one. Good on grounding/welding continuity-thanks. Yes the brick being very brittle easily loses grit off it which can contaminate-blimey, you know your stuff mate. Wire brushes will abound in all their glory from 00 to Oh god! Air in all its forms will permeate the atmos! Ok that's bricks for no warps. no bricks for warp 9 Dingleberry-wasn't he in police academy or was that Dangleberry?

Eugene Tackleberry

Paul David Graf (16 April 1950 - 7 April 2001) was an American actor, known for his role as Sgt. Eugene Tackleberry in the Police Academy series of films. Tackleberry is in all seven police academy films.