I Forge Iron

Anvil/tup material

So I've been pondering about materials needed for my power hammer and my dad mentioned he has a few large hydraulic rods I could use if he can't sell them.  Are these suitable for a anvil or hammer. 

They are about 6 inches or so thick. 

Often something like 4140.  Are they plated?  Really need more info on what you want them to do---will this bolt fit on my postvise?  6" should be good for a power hammer anvil up to certain size tup.  The round makes it a bit harder to keep a tup indexed.

If nothing else excellent material for a treadle hammer anvil!

If you can get the rod drilled in the end so that you can install a hardened face/tooling they should work fine. As they are the are tough, but would mushroom from constant pounding. The hard chrome plating on them will make them very resistant to wear, and cut friction, so I would not remove it. They are not plated to prevent rusting. 

Instead of drilling into the rod  could I take heavy plate drill and tap that for my dies and then weld it to the rod? 

I see most people are using 1 inch plate for the base of there homemade hammers anyone using I Beam. Or have recommendations fore or against? 

How good of a welder are you?  

It may be wiser to make a plate that has a cup that slips over the end of the rod, and uses a bolt to hold it tight.

A hole in the end with a side locking bolt would make change overs faster, and they could also be angled any way you might want them.

It all depends on how you want to use it.

17 hours ago, Creature said:

Instead of drilling into the rod  could I take heavy plate drill and tap that for my dies and then weld it to the rod? 

I see most people are using 1 inch plate for the base of there homemade hammers anyone using I Beam. Or have recommendations fore or against? 

I beam will not work in any manner for a hammer base.

I will leave it to you to determine why as you must understand the dynamics involved.