Sign in to follow this  
Ibor

Bronze Age and early Iron, tools, techniques, and materials.

In this section I will publish some of his works and describe the ways of their implementation, techniques and materials used.
First, a few photos from my "workshop" from the early Bronze Age ... such confusion foundry with a stonemason.

Of course, all of this technology and tools is pure hypothesis, supported only assumptions resulting from experiments

Bone, wood and stone with the help of which erstwhile craftsmen of the era
Chalcolithic manufactured beautiful stone axes ......
Hoes, axes and streams, planted with the help of various types of binders, flint or other stones ...
All that today we can only guess and experiment .......

Several pictures of tools and other things with my "Workshop reconstruction and the experience of the Early Bronze Age."
Among others there are: bellows bag, the installation of air supply to the furnace bellows made of hollow branches of the elderberry, reconstruction based on findings from England .... unless ...
There are also unfinished stone axes, one is finished, one of the granite, the other with different types of sandstone.
Form stone sandstone for casting flat axes, used foundry crucibles.
There are also some used tools: hoe stone cast, granite hammers, ax with antlers, pottery.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

It presents a piece of granite used by me as file processing fresh cast sickle cast tin bronze, culture Otomani-Füzesabony from Slovakia dating back to 1400 BC, and the example of a flat ax cast tin bronze from the same culture and the same dating mounted in the stump of the lime tree , four wedges of dried oak.
Very good handling!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

And here my hearth of that year: sandstone rocks caked with mud.

1.jpg

Hard core!  But I have found that you really learn from trying to do it the way it was originally done.

Flat ax with ornaments dating from 1100 B.C.
Ax with a circular floored, culture barrow graves in 1700 B.C-1300B.C.
Central Europe.

Small casserole is molded out of clay mixed with sand.
I used this type of crucibles for casting small things, such bracelets or blade daggers.
Mostly they stand 1 to 2 casts .... but there is no trouble in the summer because I've done dozens of them.
Then the production of the pedal; I used of broken, cracked ground shells crucibles.
The photo is a sandstone with a hole, it is a whetstone to sharpen knives, sickles ... but also great that sandstone is machined bronze, especially kneading dents.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

And here, an example of mounting a hammer made of granite.
Branch hazel, goat leather and granite.
This smaller hammer is made of sandstone.
Both quickly consume, but for this type of attachment you do not need profiling stone.

On the blackboard with wood hammer and anvil from the Bronze Age on the basis of European discoveries .... except the Netherlands and France in 1100 B.C - 800 B.C

And hatchet flat and the manner of its attachment, and two knives from the Polish one in the frame of the antlers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Two ax hammers.
I did it with black granite originating in the Republic of South Africa.
The larger is 15 cm long and weighs 400 grams,17 mm hole.
Second, smaller,220 grams and 15.05 cm in length, it has a hole of about 17 mm.
Now I bought the so-called Swedish granite" Vanga" is red and I will try to do more.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg