I Forge Iron

flipper

dodo knives

Hey guys so I am getting into folders...did a couple practice prototypes and one complete regular liner lock. so then I tried a flipper using loose bearings like the IKBS system. it cam out ok but doesn't open as easily as it should just by tapping the guard you gotta flick your wrist also to get it to open. I have seen a bunch that don't need that just tap the guard and it fully opens (without a sping) using loose bearings were a pain so the one I am working on now I am using caged bearings pocketed into the titanium liners.....any one have and advice or tips on how to get this to open nice and easily??? I would really appreciate any tips!

• 2 months later...

dodo,

I'm not a knifemaker but your question is interesting.  I've handled some flippers that wouldn't pop all the way open and some that would.  I think this is more than a bearing thing because I've seen working examples with nothing more than a teflon washer.  The weight of the blade and the length of the flipper contribute momentum and leverage to the function.  Tip heavy blades would have an advantage over slim tapered points.  

Reduce the friction until it opens the way you want it. A bearing can be pressed tight enough into a bore to lock it up.

Open and zz shielded have the least resistance, but if you get any dirt in them they will lock up.

Also be aware that some states frown on knives that can be opened merely by gravity, not just springs.

• 3 months later...

Dodo,

I too am tooling up to move into maling some folders. I'm leaning toward framelocks.

To have something to aspire to, I picked up a Rick Hinderer  MP-1.  Great fit and finish.

Interestingly enough, it flips open very well and doesn't utilize bearings. Just teflon washers.

Now I'm rethinking whether I really want to use bearings in mine. 

If you are using bearings, are you inserting a ready made race into the liners, or spinning the race in with a drill and extra bearing?