I Forge Iron

When did you stop calling yourself a begginer smith?

After 60 yrs I feel I'm an experienced Beginner.  I say I was apprenticed so long the guy died to get away from me.  I became highly skilled in certain aspects of Blacksmithing, starting the fire, cranking the blower, picking up the shop area which was an open slant roof thingy which was a treat in VT in the winter.  As for the rest what I thought I  knew a lot has proven to be wrong and what I was sure about with age I've forgotten what it is, or was or might have been or where I put it down last.  So all in all I'm experienced in making scrap  and noise along with smoke. I have saved a lot of historic tools & Items from the scrap yard and information from being lost to the dust bin of time.  I'm making plans to pass them along to the next generation if there is one. 

It worked best when I learned not to take everything so serious,  Important thing is I'm Happy. 

• 2 weeks later...

philosophically I'm still a beginner..   Been at it over 40 years..    for me I took 8 years off (full time farrier now) so would consider myself a knowledgeable beginner but no way can I do what I could 8 years ago.( was a professional iron pounder for 12 years).  It takes me a good 2 days of forge work before I start to feel like things are clicking in again mentally, and it takes a good 3 days of 8hrs of being at the anvil before I start to get a hammer arm back.. 

I never did. But when people I had looked up to started valuing my opinion on something I knew that I was going somewhere beyond beginner. Doesn't mean I've filled my cranium or ever will, but it's a nice start. 24 years in and I'm still thankful that I'll get to learn something new tomorrow. 

-J

• 1 month later...

I don't feel bad about signing up for blacksmithing classes that are labeled for a "seasoned beginner". But unless I pass through a time space continuum portal and end up doing it for a living, I doubt I will make it up to "journeyman" status. But these pics would show some of my best work after 9 years of weekend forging practice.

IMG_8285.JPG

IMG_8284.JPG

13 minutes ago, bubba682 said:

Why do guys get so hung up on it as long as you enjoy what your doin and other people like it who cares, folks are goin to pay for it if they like it not wheither your an app or jm .Thats my thoughts on it.

It can be a pretty good question in the right context..   I was a professional smith (making a living at it for 8 years +)..  I stopped working as a smith because I had writers block.. I was still doing small jobs for myself but had stopped doing anything that was paying job for 3 years.. I then started to pick up work again on a reluctant nature.. It was only 3 years ago that I started to get more serious again..  In the 10years that I took off and moved away from the blacksmith scene there had been a lot of changes, (youtube, facebook, google+, but youtube first and foremost).. The internet has opened doors for the learning of blacksmithing which I had never dreamed.. 

Anyhow, While my brain has forgotten more than I know about blacksmithing now, and I also know how to make just about anything as I was a trade blacksmith vs artist blacksmith.. Never one for art.. vs useable items.. 

Anyhow,  It was suggested I might be asked to judge a competition on blacksmithing..  Beginner, Advanced and professional..     I had to turn down even the suggestion of it as unless I can do it I'm not one to judge it.. Though I might possess all the steps and knowledge and can still swing a hammer.. In my mind I am a beginner of sorts... Until I can get back up to speed with both thought and execution of technique I am a beginner..   I figure it will take a year to get things back in line but the quality of work now finish wise is pretty outstanding and with this major resurgence there are a lot of people turning out quality work..  

My work now is sloppy, and slower.. Both qualities of which I am not fond of..  So, a beginner.. 

Rt on jlp nice reply for me its a way to relax and work with metal im a jm in two other trades that are always inspected and critiqed when the work is done. When im in my shop its just me the forge and the anvil.My buddys say im to criticle on myself but in reality its the most relaxed time ive ever had so i like it and now im starten to sell a few peaces .

35 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Anyhow, While my brain has forgotten more than I know about blacksmithing now, and I also know how to make just about anything as I was a trade blacksmith vs artist blacksmith.. Never one for art.. vs useable items..

My work now is sloppy, and slower.. Both qualities of which I am not fond of..  So, a beginner.. 

I'm in the same boat. Back in the dark ages '90s I would have considered myself at journeyman level. Making and selling my work knives and usable things with very little artsy things.

Sometime in the late 2000s I put down my hammer and put out the fire. I didn't pick up the hammer until a couple of years ago so I guess I'm an experienced beginner all over again. I learn/relearn something every time I fire up the forge now.

1 hour ago, bubba682 said:

Rt on jlp nice reply for me its a way to relax and work with metal im a jm in two other trades that are always inspected and critiqed when the work is done. When im in my shop its just me the forge and the anvil.My buddys say im to criticle on myself but in reality its the most relaxed time ive ever had so i like it and now im starten to sell a few peaces .

I agree with all of that. If the piece can pass my inspection, than it tends to do fine on the table. blacksmithing is the most relaxing thing i do, and can be the most labor intensive. funny how that can happen.

Littleblacksmith

8 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

I agree with all of that. If the piece can pass my inspection, than it tends to do fine on the table. blacksmithing is the most relaxing thing i do, and can be the most labor intensive. funny how that can happen.

Littleblacksmith

A personal friend who had watched me work for years stopped by a few years back.. I was in the middle of working on something and the person said

" I've been watching for years and You keep asking if I want to try it but have always refused because I didn't want to look foolish, but now no one is around would you mind if I try it"? 

I said sure.. Finished up what I was doing.. and  I made a couple of nails explaining as I went along..  The person set about to make the nail.. It went very well.. 

As the person finished up and things were being put away I was given a hug then told " Now I can see why you are so happy all the time.  You get to take your anger out on the metal"!!!!   :)

For me 2 things have come to pass which freed me up..

One of the biggest ones and the reason I quite professional smithing was I was dependent on doing quality work to my standards as a starving artist. While I was making ok money and had a new job or order every week I used to work my butt off to make the 60.00 per hour I charged back in the late 80's and 90's..   This lead to not feeling appreciated for the skill set I had acquired over a 20+ year learning curve (self taught) and each contract it was a hassle to get the 60 per hour (back then it seemed like good money but when you figured in expenses, insurances, etc, etc.. it was a struggle..    Every job was quoted so If I came in under time I made extra money and if over time I loss money per hour.. I learned to work very quickly and this made it look easy..  Anyhow, getting off track.  

So, once I no longer worked full time as a blacksmith and started making a decent pay check elsewhere it freed me up to once again explore blacksmithing and have passion for it the way I did when I was 10..  Only now I'm old as fart and with working hard physically for the last 40 years I have my aches and pains. Though still pretty good..  

And 2..    I feel as though now I have something to contribute and don't need to be compensated..       The ability to give is what I would call it..  ( back when I was coming up, any of the local blacksmithing businesses would stop working as soon as you would walk in the door).. Literally would walk away from the forge..  Trade secrets.. :)

While it doesn't really address the title of this thread..  I think more and more the line between beginner, advanced can be very blurry..  professional not so much, as I would consider a professional making a paycheck and having a full time shop..  I also think as a professional the giving back process is more difficult because of the time constraints.. 

Where being a beginner or advanced there seems to be more time to question, research, and share results..   Also as a professional the standards of what is being shared has to be to the 999999999''sssss.. (nines) or else we feel it's not worth sharing.. IE (proud moments)..   

The  videos I have been making lately I leave the bloopers and blunders in.. Something I would have never dreamed of 15 or 20 years ago because it wasn't considered professional, though it happens to everyone..   

Great job on the tools by the way.. 

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Great job on the tools by the way.. 

was this meant for me? if so, which tools?

Littleblacksmith

2 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

was this meant for me? if so, which tools?

Littleblacksmith

Your EVO Tools.. :)

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Your EVO Tools.. :)

oh, why thank you!

Littleblacksmith

For some reason this thread keeps calling my attention.. 

Today it dawned on me what the difference is when I was welding some 7/16 round 1018 CR to some A36.. 

At first I was frustrated.. Though the materials were completely clean and I could see clean/clear steel under the flux they would not weld at the temp I usually weld 1018 at all day.. 

So I had to up the temp on the A36 and it welded just fine.. 

So, while it was an Epiphany moment  in the essence of this topic/thread it also made me realize that probably the largest part about not being a Newbie is the ability to figure out a problem in a timely fashion to get the job done..

When I had first started and even for the first few years I would have given up that day after mashing 5 or 6 parts and came back to it, time and time again until it worked.. (no YOUtube back then) So instead of taking weeks it only took about 15minutes extra to figure it out..  

Oh, and instead of going for the tack and it not welding right away, I used to mash it instead of figuring out what was wrong and why it didn't stick..  I used to mash the hell out of a bad forge weld tack..  LOL.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Its a sad day when you dont learn anything I have been in engineering for a living since 1992 and when I was younger used to spend all my time in my fathers workshop and had nothing more advanced than a hand hacksaw blunt files and damp old electrodes ( It was a farmers workshop ) It used to take me days to do the most basic things. 

One of the main reasons I enjoy IFI is there are so many people who know alot more than me and are willing to share their time and Knowledge Cheers Beaver

2 hours ago, BeaverNZ said:

Its a sad day when you dont learn anything I have been in engineering for a living since 1992 and when I was younger used to spend all my time in my fathers workshop and had nothing more advanced than a hand hacksaw blunt files and damp old electrodes ( It was a farmers workshop ) It used to take me days to do the most basic things. 

One of the main reasons I enjoy IFI is there are so many people who know alot more than me and are willing to share their time and Knowledge Cheers Beaver

I just realised it was 1982 when I started working but what is ten years or so LOL getting old and decrepid