I Forge Iron

Large Steel Balls, Uses?

b4utoo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An armourer who taught me, used to use those and larger ones for dishing.

His method was to weld them to posts, sometimes offset for plenishing in odd locations.

2 of them welded near each other allowed a valley for dishing into for heavy fluting, for things like the later period knee fans that protect the sides and tendon of the joint.

He would also weld them to hammers for added momentum. That also helped with inside odd spot where a heavy short arc of swing was the only way to dish.

I still use a large partial 8" ball welded to a post for plenishing and heavy dishing over wooden stump.

So ya....I would use them for forms for doing customized sheet metal work.

Are they cast?  It looks like a casting seem on the medium sized one at 17 inches and the small one at 12 inches.  The big one at 14 looks like it has a hole right at the tape measure, like it's hollow.

Regardless, that's a cool find.  I'm thinking eyeballs for critter sculptures, fruit or seed pods (grapes, berries), dishing tools.  Could you cut one in half, weld it to either end of a chunk of steel, harden it and make a rounding hammer head?

Ball topped stake is what I JUST put together with this steel ball.

IMG_3888.JPG

The ball sits at 34" high on the stand for planishing and forming, and when used as hammer leaves lots of pipe as a handle when used on low dishing stump.

This one is a 5" diameter ball. It acts like a mild steel in welding, not like a cast ball at all. Seller claimed it was a very old cannon ball.

Total weight was 24lbs which is excellent, as I have a lighter 9" diameter factory knuckle (17lbs) for larger dished pieces like helmet tops.

I find the heavier the weight the less work I have to do. Heavy dishing ball does all the work.

IMG_3887.JPG

Well 5.17 would fit an 18 pounder; unfortunately you generally want the cannon ball to shatter and do more damage and so cast iron works better than steel (and was MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper back when they were using round shot in cannon)

Sellers seem to always claim that they are cannon balls even when their size wouldn't fit any cannon used in the last 200 years...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...