I Forge Iron

My first* coin mokume gane..(*success)

Alwayslearning

thats a good start! I bet she will love it. 

the good thing about pendants is they don't take a lot of stress so they hold up just fine when you have small crazing.  Looking at this I would say you probably want to work harder to keep the air out from between the coins when you are heating. try hammering the coins flat before cleaning and stacking, that will be a big help I think. 

2 hours ago, teenylittlemetalguy said:

thats a good start! I bet she will love it. 

the good thing about pendants is they don't take a lot of stress so they hold up just fine when you have small crazing.  Looking at this I would say you probably want to work harder to keep the air out from between the coins when you are heating. try hammering the coins flat before cleaning and stacking, that will be a big help I think. 

Agreed - good advice.

I have recently gotten a old kickpress that needs tooling, might see if I could (temporarily) modify it to act like a "Hugh McDonald"-style rolling mill.  Was hoping to find a nice used jewelry rolling mill, but hadn't found one locally (Vermont) cheaply.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 0:24 PM, Alwayslearning said:

Agreed - good advice.

I have recently gotten a old kickpress that needs tooling, might see if I could (temporarily) modify it to act like a "Hugh McDonald"-style rolling mill.  Was hoping to find a nice used jewelry rolling mill, but hadn't found one locally (Vermont) cheaply.  

Sorry it took me so long to see this, I got no notice. 

I have a jewelry roller and love it. they don't open as wide as I would like though. wish I had a McDonald as well. It would be much better for items like bolsters where the jewelry ones are only good for thin stuff.