I Forge Iron

1/4 inch flat bit tongs

Mark Ling

Made these tongs out of two rail road spikes. Holds 1/4" flat and 1/4" square. Not bad I thought.

If you would like this pair of tongs, you can get them at the live auction taking place at the 7th annual combo/demo at steep hollow forge here in town!

Also made a tong clip for assisting with holding stock. Pleased with that design, looks nice and functions well. Obviously though a piece of pipe or square tubing will due the same thing.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5530[1].JPG

IMG_5528[1].JPG

IMG_5535[1].JPG

IMG_5534[1].JPG

IMG_5533[1].JPG

IMG_5532[1].JPG

Thanks everybody!

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, JHCC said:

Cute tong clip

I too like it. came up with the design on the spot, but it is nice and simple, but still has a nice look. Can be made in 3 heats. Like I said, Really simple.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, C-1ToolSteel said:

Did you cut the head off the spikes?

On the pairs before this I had always forge welded the head into the spikes. Now for that I would have the head forge welded into the reins, because you obviously don't really want a forge weld up at the boss area were the most stress is going to be. When I would do that I would always end up cutting some off though. On this pair I ended up trying it without the head, and it saved me time, and I still had plenty of steel for the reins! But if you were to make lets say a pair of bolt jaw tongs, or any pair that requires more steel for the jaws I would end up using the head.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, arkie said:

Those are called "blacksmith's tattoos".........

Yeah, I got my first tattoo a long time ago.....

Littleblacksmith

• 2 weeks later...