I Forge Iron

Thanks for everything

Donniev

Well it looks like I might be done forging for a little while, it's snowing right now, but I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post with helpful hints on how to do something, or a few times informed me I was doing it completely wrong! Frosty you replied to a few pm's, I appreciate it. 

Also, really happy I met matto here, he sold me my anvil and post vise, and has let me come out to his shop a few times, thanks Matt!

I've learned a lot in my short time here so far, I'm really glad that this site is around to help out newcomers like myself, every time I've had a question people much more knowledgeable than me have been here to help and figure out the problem. Glad to have Glenn and the mods here taking their time to help make this hobby fun

Thought I'd post a picture of the last few things I made. The skull was 1 1/4" round, wow- the eyes took some time, that's a lot of steel to move

IMG_20170104_153506550.jpg

Just because there is a little snow does not mean you have to give up on blacksmithing. Get a block of modeling clay at the hobby. and read IForgeIron. When you run across that project you want to make, use the modeling clay to practice, inside and out of the cold. When you get back to the forge you will already know how to do those new projects.  

Pack a lunch and a HOT drink, relax, and spend some quality time on the site. (grin)

Bring the anvil inside for winter so it will not get cold. In case the wife asks, tell here it is additional thermal mass for the house. 

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

Bring the anvil inside for winter so it will not get cold. In case the wife asks, tell here it is additional thermal mass for the house. 

I tried that a couple minutes ago and thought it would work till the wife said "I suppose you got that idea from IFI?" 

If you heated that anvil up to say 100*F and used it as a foot warmer and foot rest, the wife would take over your chair, and the dog would sleep next to the anvil. Either way the anvil would be protected. (grin)

38 minutes ago, notownkid said:

"I suppose you got that idea from IFI?" 

Wives do not miss much do they. LOL

When I had a bad winter in Ohio I built a "one soft firebrick forge" run off a cheap propane torch and forged in my basement all winter.

I did quite a bit of viking jewelry hot forging silver cut from ingots. Don't recall my wife ever complained...also the nails for my mastermyr chest variation, small knives, small tooling---nice for repousse tooling!  Did most of it sitting on an old kitchen chair with my 91# A&H on a short stand between my legs.

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

When I had a bad winter in Ohio I built a "one soft firebrick forge" run off a cheap propane torch and forged in my basement all winter.

I did quite a bit of viking jewelry hot forging silver cut from ingots. Don't recall my wife ever complained...also the nails for my mastermyr chest variation, small knives, small tooling---nice for repousse tooling!  Did most of it sitting on an old kitchen chair with my 91# A&H on a short stand between my legs.

Wow, Thomas, that's a mighty great idea! I have to look up whether they sell those soft bricks around here. I could imagine some copper work in the nastiest days of the winter.

Bests:

Gergely

11 hours ago, Glenn said:

If you heated that anvil up to say 100*F and used it as a foot warmer and foot rest, the wife would take over your chair, and the dog would sleep next to the anvil. Either way the anvil would be protected. (grin)

One of the smarter thing  we did when we built this place is radiant heat under the floors and in the concrete of the basement.  regardless how cold out the floors are warm.  now saying that,  how long do you  suppose it would take a 213lb anvil that has been in the shop at say average temps of +20F  to warm up enough to be a heat mass setting on the radiant floor?  Either way the wife says no and my son seems unavailable to lend a hand in moving it so I may load it in the car and take it to Florida with me.  Bet that is another NO.  Oh Well

6 hours ago, notownkid said:

One of the smarter thing  we did when we built this place is radiant heat under the floors and in the concrete of the basement.  regardless how cold out the floors are warm.  now saying that,  how long do you  suppose it would take a 213lb anvil that has been in the shop at say average temps of +20F  to warm up enough to be a heat mass setting on the radiant floor?  Either way the wife says no and my son seems unavailable to lend a hand in moving it so I may load it in the car and take it to Florida with me.  Bet that is another NO.  Oh Well

Set it directly over one of the hydronic heat tubes and you'll be surprised how fast the temp equalizes.

Deb won't let me bring an anvil in the house or should I say she just takes it for her own if I do. 

Frosty The Lucky.