tylerdewitt

Designing a 50lb guided helve hammer.

Great job!

Frosty once said my hammer was "a real beefeater" but yours has mine beat hands down.

Love the 1200# anvil...totally awesome.

You done well son, and I appreciate that my design was inspiring for you.

Would love to see those vids.

Thank you arftist! Will be a while until I have some presentable videos, but I will share them here.

Still thinking about the fact that last Monday morning I had an assembly of parts, and in the afternoon after slapping on some temporary mild steel dies, I had a machine with utility. I started using it right away for paid work. Going from no-hammer to hammer was such a leap that I questioned whether I should have just bought one in the past. It made me reflect on my reasons for building at all.

Some thoughts to share for anyone considering building:

It was a huge investment of time. In my case, hundreds of hours spread over more than a year.
Materials were cheaper than purchasing and delivering a new hammer, but if your time is worth anything at all, it's not economical.

However:

I have a hammer that I can fix/maintain/improve and meets my particular set of constraints.
I picked up many new  skills and knowledge along the way: machining, moving heavy objects, mechanics, sources for materials.

In my case, I treated it as a rite of passage. Being purely a hobbyist at the time, I asked myself if I "deserved" a hammer, cost aside. I definitely could not justify purchasing a new one. I could however justify building it: if I was to be a blacksmith/metalworker, I should be able to build my own tools. So that was the motivation.  It seems to have worked out. Now that I'm selling more, not sure if I would make the same decision. I'd likely instead want to put those hours into producing things, rather than tinkering.

Good thoughts. Mine were similar. Pure economics, I spent so much time on mine I should’ve just bought one. On the other hand, I make tools, and I learned a lot about fabrication and welding from this project. Great hammer!