I Forge Iron

Using leg vise as hardy tool holder

Pancho07

Is there any reason not to so long as you can keep the tools from turning? I'm getting ready to move most of my stuff to the barn at my house and the ASO that I have doesn't have a hardy hole but I do have a 4 1/2 inch vise. Is this an ok idea or should I build another stand for the hardy tools?

Some of the road grader blades have square holes for mounting and are discarded on a regular basis if you want to build a "tooling table".  I once lucked on an oddball one that was about 3' long and 18" wide and had 1.5" holes in it---nice as I have 3 anvils with 1.5" hardy holes and so have some tooling that size.

It would mostly be used for hot cuts, possibly texturing. Eventually I would get/build a striking anvil for anything heavier but short term I'm still building my tool collection and don't want to have a pile of tools that had a purpose once but were replaced by something else.

The nice thing about a striking anvil/portable hole is that you can use it to make the hardies for use with your regular anvil. Of course, if you don't yet have a regular anvil with a hardy hole, holding off and using the vise until you do is probably a good option. In fact, there is a lot of tooling that you could make specifically for the vise (e.g., adjustable bending forks) that wouldn't work well as standard hardies anyway.

If you can build it with a fairly standard hardy hole size---like 1"---it's likely you may end up with an anvil the tooling will fit.  I find it very handy to have a series of hardy tools setup for some projects so I can just go from one to the next to the next.  Of course I can just line up the anvils with them now...

(I don't think I have ever had a fireproof table in the shop that didn't stay useful no matter what it's original purpose was...)