I Forge Iron

Just getting started

Millhand

A suggestion for a variation on that tong rack.  I've owned several old forges that had a section like is on the side of your forge but offset more and with the ends set up to pivot on bolts.  It also had a pivoting "leg" out on the offset and worked as a "third hand" for holding up longer pieces in the fire.  Normal position was with it folded down and the pivoting leg kicked under the forge.  To use you just pull up on the offset to the height you want and set the leg so it's stable.     Hard to describe, easy to make and use.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

A suggestion for a variation on that tong rack.  I've owned several old forges that had a section like is on the side of your forge but offset more and with the ends set up to pivot on bolts.  It also had a pivoting "leg" out on the offset and worked as a "third hand" for holding up longer pieces in the fire.  Normal position was with it folded down and the pivoting leg kicked under the forge.  To use you just pull up on the offset to the height you want and set the leg so it's stable.     Hard to describe, easy to make and use.

There's just such a "third hand" visible on the left-hand side of this photo.

18 hours ago, Millhand said:

Not sure if anyone is interested but here is my limited progress on my forge .

Like C-1 said - boring NOT! I will be drooling over over your posts for some time to come. Great work-in-progress pictorial and story.

Welcome Aboard.

Robert Taylor

Thank you so much for the 3rd hand design and idea! I'm glad I left one side open. I have put together some blue prints for my machinist and steel company for the kz100 style hammer I plan to start on after this forge is complete. I'll be forging sometime in 2020 at this rate lol 

sorry no forge updates, I've been so busy at work with these cold temperatures I've had to play welder, fabricator, hydrolic expert, electrician, and moderator for 30 mill workers.  modern day blacksmith?? lol 

Thx guys! I'm very happy with the way it turned out! it's freezing rain like a dickens or I'd drag it out and fire it up. this weather has been awful!! 

was going to make that 3rd hand but I'd like to forge some of the parts. Maybe I'll do the parts during the test run, then I can set this and get started on the power hammer. so stoked about that build!!    hopefully I enjoy blacksmithing as much as I do fabrication. : ) 

Ahhh, man, them super suckers work great! use one myself! I really like the top adjustable part of it (not sure what to call it)! wish I had though of that at the time! Looks great!

Littleblacksmith

Well she works! Needs a few adjustments. More pipe, need a plate on the top of the inlet to help funnal and I think I'm going to move the hood in 2" 

20170113_235136.jpg

Not super proud of my first forging project but hey I didn't have a anvil.   In hindsight I should have just put it on the floor. Nothing like starting with half by 2.  

Was really happy with the heat time on a long piece but boy does she like her fuel! Fan on low is a bit much for a small fire too. 

20170113_235612.jpg

20170114_013154.jpg

It was still in my hand, just setting it in as I took the picture.  I did keep my fire low because it was super late and I didn't want a huge fire to have to wait to go out.  Was a long day.  16 hour day going when I took that picture. 

Rite on :) thx Thomas! I had a pretty good pile to start with.  I need some fire bricks to adjust a bit. Wonder if the bigger box stores carry them? 

Also started with charcoal out of the boiler.  That sure doesn't last long.  had the forge 40' from my stand that was another problem lol.  Put on a few miles trying to form that to the stand.  

Set a few pieces, second guessing my layout draft already lol.  

Anyone have any thoughts on a duel post vice/bench vice mount? 

One more thing! Snapping two 6" stove pipes together to make a 12" is proving to be a bear!! Everytime I think I've got it and start to place it, the buggers pop apart. Definitely patient's testing lol. 

20170117_203953.jpg

2: pop rivets? or oldstyle rivets at the ends of the joins.

Vices: I have sturdy workbenches with a vise on the corners not next to the wall.  In my case postvises, a 6"r and a 4"r, on both bench.  Not knowing what kind of forging you plan to do make it hard to make a suggestion; but in general it's nice to have a bench you don't have to worry about hot steel touching.

10 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

2: pop rivets? or oldstyle rivets at the ends of the joins.

Vices: I have sturdy workbenches with a vise on the corners not next to the wall.  In my case postvises, a 6"r and a 4"r, on both bench.  Not knowing what kind of forging you plan to do make it hard to make a suggestion; but in general it's nice to have a bench you don't have to worry about hot steel touching.

First projects will be all my tools, I bought one set of tongs and a couple hammers but planning on making everything else.  

On the vices i Had some crazy idea of saving room if I could build a single mount for both but it probably won't work.

Ornate railing and gates after that.  I will build a heavy Welding bench soon and probably put the bench vice on that.  Got a 4x8 assembly table in the works as well. Wish I could make it bigger but limited on room.

I will clone the Welding bench I built for my work shop. The main portion is the roll protection off of a case forklift. I am fortunate to own one more in the bone yard. 

20161223_160157.jpg

I've spent all day behind a Welding helmet.   I feel like the mills blacksmith lol steady stream of ppl bringing tools and machine parts to fix. 

Just getting in forging over the last 6 months, through an admiration of traditional methods. I've only forged a couple kindling hatchets from 440c tool steel, (old spanners). I was wondering what fuel is going to give me the best heat output. I use lumpwood charcoal at the minute but find im forever having to top it up.

WP_20170124_17_27_11_Pro.jpg

top heat output would probably be hydrogen.  Coal and charcoal have about the same BTU PER POUND but the density of charcoal is much lower.

Is your forge and blower designed for charcoal or are you running it as designed for the other fuel and wondering why your results are not efficient.

You may want to look into using coke if you want a HOT solid fuel, it's more of a pain to work with though.  There is a reason that a high grade bituminous coal is considered the "standard" for smithing.  Note that we can't give you any ideas on what you should be looking for as we have not clue where you are at----coir charcoal may be the only thing around!

Finishing the pipe outside this morning,  how high it goes up will be strictly governed by the traction I can find on a metal roof covered in snow and ice.

Have to build some sort of cap. Hopefully, baring a trip to the er, the next pictures will be the super sucker working with a correct flu.

20170126_185454.jpg

Wow! nearly a month into this and I'm just getting the forge set up.  Turtle speed!  This is why...  

I have been trying to get the shelving built under my Welding bench for 2 days at work.    Now we are talking 4 pieces of angle iron and 1 piece expanded metal.   I had a few spare min so I decided to knock it out yesterday.   I no sooner put the helmet on and someone starts yapping.   As soon as I ran that one off there was another. Ended up 6 ppl in that hour interrupted me.  

I make mistakes because of them, spend a huge amount of time looking for tools I set down wile being interrupted.   Remeasure many times!  its so frustrating!  

The only way I can be left alone is if I break out the 8 inch grinder and have alot of stock to remove. I'm going to leave a piece in the vice and the grinder hot for just such a thing. Rant over. ...

Side draft works wonderfully! About 11' of 12",  I'll post pics tomorrow.  Stoked the forge works great! I on the other hand need a lot of work!

Top pic is charcoal, bottom is coal out of my outdoor woodstove. Pot Burns both quite well.  

20170128_150756.jpg

20170128_181451.jpg