I Forge Iron

Dutch Oven Lid Lifter

Mark Ling

During Christmas break my mom's sister and her family came. So, I did a blacksmithing demonstration for them, and since one of my cousins is quite interested in blacksmithing and many other things that I'm also interested in, we asked her if he could forge a little. After a little bit of persuading, we got her permission. In the first evening we made a cooking tripod the "smith and striker way"(?) which was what we did for all the projects. I think that's what its called.

Anyways, the next day we got up at 6:30 lit the forge at 8:00 AM, and turned the blower off at 5:30PM. During that day we made a decent bit of stuff, including a fire steel, 4 S-hooks, 2 candle holders, a railroad spike spatula, a fish made from a horse shoe, and last but not least, a Dutch oven lid lifter. Out of all of that, we were most proud of the Dutch oven lid lifter. In the middle of the project it didn't seem as if it would  work out, but in the end it works great!

We forged it from 3/8" square stock, and for the handle we forged a leaf, bent it around, and then wrapped the leaf around the shaft. In the middle we did a reverse twist, which I thought added a lot. One of the most interesting parts of it was the actual lid lifting part. I'm not real pleased with the hook at the very end, but its still very much a serviceable tool.

For the piece that goes cross ways at the lid lifter part we made by taking a top fuller to make the larger valleys, and then at the end we did a bit of a fish tail using a smaller fuller. That piece was then punched and riveted in place. For the other half of the lifter that it was riveted to I first took a ball peen hammer held it were I wanted the hole, and had him strike. That was just to make a larger area to make it easier to punch. The rivet was made from 1/4" round.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5496[1].JPG

IMG_5497[1].JPG

IMG_5498[1].JPG

Thanks Chris!

Aww, now come on, there has to be something to criticize about it?

Littleblacksmith

Those are really nice! I like them!

Littleblacksmith