I Forge Iron

Hydraulic pump size you'd use.........

BCROB

leaning on this 6'' bore 10'' stroke 2'' rod cylinder for a press build.......

pic and specs below........recommendations on hydraulic pump , min electric motor will be 5HP , 7.5HP if required......3450

6 in. Bore x 10 in. Stroke Hydraulic Press Cylinder

Application(s)

• Use to build up to a 50 ton shop press  

Weight & Package Dimensions

• Weight (lbs) 107.52
  • Package (L x W x H) 24.3 x 7.2 x 7.5 in.

Attributes & Specifications

Max. Continuous Pressure 3,600  PSI
Bore Diameter 6  in.
Stroke Length 10  in.
   in.
Rod Diameter 2  in.
Port Size 6  ORBF
Pinhole Diameter 1-1/4  in.
Base Pin Eye Width 6-5/8  in.
Force at Maximum Pressure 101,736  PSI

LOL , 46 views no replies , oh well ,

actually correction 1 from reply from a fellow Canadian, thanks Neil as always appreciate your info.....

hopefully I can make time and we can shake hands at Caniron this summer !!

keep you posted on my press build....

Rob

Well,

The answer is a sliding scale of what you wish for overall tonnage (50 you say), speed and hp you wish to run.

So we seem to know 50 ton and 7.5hp at 3500 rpm so for 50 ton at 6" cylinder you need

3537 PSI for 100,006 pounds of push.

Given that psi and hp the gallon flow theoretically is 3.63 per minute

and the speed (minus 85% efficiency is about) 0.425 inches per second.

So you need a pump with the specs of 0.233 cc per revolution........assuming all the above.

More or less.

Ric

Thanks TD for your reply.....

3450 5HP is what I have in the boneyard where I'd probably go 16GPM but also I have access to a 1725 5HP where I have read that a 22GPM would be better suited....not as noisy, still considering options , thanks for your reply...

I'm building a press currently - although time is limited so it's going slow..... Here's my thoughts:

I'm aiming for lower noise after reading a ton of links and watching videos with 3450 rpm motors screaming in the background.

My build is using a 7.5 hp 1750 rpm single phase motor with a 28gpm two stage pump (since it will be running at half speed to give me close to 14gpm). I'll be using two 5" x 16" rams in parallel - it was way cheaper to go with two 5" rams instead of a single 6". I will be building a H frame with the rams on the bottom and there will be 3 clevis pin holes - 2 for using double rams and one centered for using a single ram (if I decide I want more speed with 1 ram and and a little less tonnage).

• 2 months later...
On December 31, 2016 at 11:21 AM, tdriack said:

I'm building a press currently - although time is limited so it's going slow..... Here's my thoughts:

I'm aiming for lower noise after reading a ton of links and watching videos with 3450 rpm motors screaming in the background.

My build is using a 7.5 hp 1750 rpm single phase motor with a 28gpm two stage pump (since it will be running at half speed to give me close to 14gpm). I'll be using two 5" x 16" rams in parallel - it was way cheaper to go with two 5" rams instead of a single 6". I will be building a H frame with the rams on the bottom and there will be 3 clevis pin holes - 2 for using double rams and one centered for using a single ram (if I decide I want more speed with 1 ram and and a little less tonnage).

What kind of speed will you get with that setup? Ty

One thing to keep in mind is to use the biggest ram spear/shft size as this gives a faster retract speed so more pushes per min with the same pump/hp and a stronger ram that will be less vuernerable to getting bent or kicking something out of the press. The only thing about a fast return speed is more oil returning to the tank so use good sized hoses er on the side of too big, My press has an eighteen HP motor and a 17cc/rev pump if I remeber correctly and the motor is maxed out at 4300 psi it looks a bit funny a great big motor with a tiny pump on the end Cheers Beaver

I can't seem to find my notes / calculations at the moment - but it was calculated within the ranges everyone has suggested - 1-2" a sec. Obviously the single ram option will be way faster than the 2 in parallel - when it's finished I'll be able to give more than theory calculations.

BeaverNZ as for hoses and returns ... I'll be using size 16 hydraulic hoses that are tugboat steering ram used/ scrap surplus hoses (but still new and in good shape to most) - I'm pretty sure that a 1" will cover my return speeds from my experiences.

Once I finish my build (hopefully over the next few months - if work/free time allows) I'll post a new thread of my build.

On March 8, 2017 at 7:04 PM, tdriack said:

I can't seem to find my notes / calculations at the moment - but it was calculated within the ranges everyone has suggested - 1-2" a sec. Obviously the single ram option will be way faster than the 2 in parallel - when it's finished I'll be able to give more than theory calculations.

BeaverNZ as for hoses and returns ... I'll be using size 16 hydraulic hoses that are tugboat steering ram used/ scrap surplus hoses (but still new and in good shape to most) - I'm pretty sure that a 1" will cover my return speeds from my experiences.

Once I finish my build (hopefully over the next few months - if work/free time allows) I'll post a new thread of my build.

I interested to see it. I'm gonna start one at the end of summer. Pretty much the same set up as your working on. I was gonna build a hammer also. But the more I read. I want to do it right the first time. I don't want to constantly be fixing the silly thing o get it to work. I've got a line on an good used Anyang 88.