I Forge Iron

Horse head horse shoes.

Daswulf

So I'm practicing on these. Saw it somewhere on line and like them. Last one is a unicorn version and my last attempt. One key is don't cut the horn untill you have to. Otherwise you have to cool it a hundred times throughout forging.  :) 

These were all fun and I'm still working on getting them better. 

First one was a wrought Iron horse shoe I acquired. Others are purchased from tractor supply. I have friends that say they will get me horse shoes and I'm still waiting......., till then I need practice. 

Thoughts? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Likin' it... I SO know what you mean about the horns! Isn't it annoying when you pull your carefully tapered horn out of the forge, and it looks like a sparkler at a Forth of July celebration! 

Yep. It's a pain when you send time on a bull's head and it comes out with sparkly horns. A quick change of plan from a longhorn bull to a polled Hereford. Or you can turn the stubs into ears and make a cow. Been there, got the t-shirt.

Nice idea, Das. Wish I could send you a couple of 100 horse shoes.

Thanks Aus, but I can't claim the idea since I've seen it somewhere else. Other then making them into a unicorn.  I have feelers out to hunt down horse shoes, eventually I might be swimming in them :) who knows. 

Thanks Tubalcain, that was my second attempt.  I'm thinking I need to make some new punches and chisels for these. 

I asked a local farrier for old shoes and he told me $40 for a 5 gallon bucket......I passed.  A short time later I was at a garage sale of someone who was moving and mentioned horse shoes when I saw a bit of tack, and other horse stuff. He said, follow me. He had an old bathtub half full of shoes. He told me "You can have these." I think I filled 6 or 8 buckets. 

I have a project in mind that will take around a thousand shoes, so I am well on my way with these.

Those look really good , and might sell well in my area.

Thanks Joe, keep at it. 

Thanks Dick, please do try it I would love to see some others takes on it. I talked with a neighbor down the road that boards horses, I'm still waiting to hear back. He did trade me some old tongs for a couple plastic 55gal. Barrels I had sitting around. 

BigGun, that was a good score. A thousand shoes? Sounds like a big project. Hope you share once it's done. 

11 hours ago, Daswulf said:

please do try it I would love to see some others takes on it.

I messed around tonight with some shoes, will have to post pictures later.

Littleblacksmith

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:43 AM, Daswulf said:

looking forward to it LB

Ok, here they are Das! I think yours at much better than mine....I really need to make a knew eye punch, the one I'm using is one I made when I first started forging, and its really bad.

Also is a picture of a horse shoe horse head bottle opener I made. It was going to be a horse head horse shoe heart, but the other side didn't work out. So, I cut it of and began forging a horse head coat hook, then I burnt the end off, and went to plan C!

Oh, thought I would also include a couple pics of hearts that I just started making out of 1/2"x1/4" flat bar. I just tried my first one yesterday, and need to refine them some more and really get the process down. If ya'll are wondering, for each half of the heart I take a little under 2" of material. For the one where I spiraled it up I took about 2 1/2" for each side. I wouldn't say that I came up with them, 'cause I'm sure at least a hundred people have before me, but I kinda re-invented it on my own.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5524[1].JPG

IMG_5520[1].JPG

IMG_5548[1].JPG

IMG_5523[1].JPG

IMG_5525[1].JPG

IMG_5550[1].JPG

IMG_5549[1].JPG