I Forge Iron

Needing input on forge/blower value

Scott Haney

Hey, folks. As a newbie who has only built a charcoal forge and box bellows from scrap so far, I've never done much research or looking into values of coal forges and blowers. So, I'm hoping y'all can give me some input on a fair general value of this forge and blower. Heck, or a "I wouldn't buy it because of..." even works. A family member is wanting to buy this set for me, and I want to make sure they aren't getting a bad deal (they won't tell me a price yet, so I was trying to get an idea of general fair-market value to tell them). If I were hunting for tools, I'd always go for as cheap as possible (and I know it depends on location and other variables), but any input just based on these photos on what you consider would be a fair price is appreciated. According to my family member, the blower (Champion No. 40) runs fairly smoothly & the forge table is approximately 24x40 inches. Looks like the counterweight is missing on the blower, and I can't quite tell if the clinker breaker is attached to the rod or not, but otherwise I'll have to wait to see it all in person. Honestly, I'm mainly interested in the blower since I wasn't planning on switching to coal/coke soon, but they're saying it's a package deal only. Thanks for any input.

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

Hah. True. However, the family member isn't rolling in extra cash and doesn't know ANYTHING about forges. So, I was hoping to at least give them a general idea of what folks would consider fair for the setup, as I don't want them being taken advantage of. My forge and box bellows so far have all been free aside from my time/effort, so I really have no clue about forge/blower valuation.

Consider this as well: your relative obviously wants to help you forge, but is offering something you may not need or want (assuming that your charcoal forge and box bellows are adequate to your current needs). If they're dead set on getting you this stuff, once again, smile and say Thank You.

On the other hand,  if you have good communication with your relative, you can always say something like "I really appreciate your generosity, but this forge isn't something I'm likely to use, and I don't want your gift to go to waste. What would really take my smithing setup to the next level would be ________." This could be a vise, some good universal tongs, a good angle grinder, or whatever else both fits their budget and fills a significant hole in your equipage. 

It can sometimes be awkward having conversations like this, but if you do it right, everyone is happy: you have what you need, and your relative helps you in a real and practical way that better fits their budget. 

(By the way, as a professional fundraiser, I have conversations like this for a living. Trust me: this really works.)

Great point, JHCC. I'm planning to go at least look at this equipment to see what the working condition is and go from there. A crank blower would be great to have, but I sure don't want them to have to pay for the whole package just to get a blower, so we'll see how it all looks. I appreciate your input on the value and all.

On the other hand, if the blower is in good shape and the price is right for the package, you can always (with their knowledge, of course) keep the blower to use, sell the rest, and use the money from that sale to get other gear.

Merry Christmas, Scott

It is difficult to see if the Clinker Breaker is there or not. The piece on the shaft, in the housing that bolts onto the bottom of the Tuyere (Fire-Pot).

It looks like it will be a good set-up, after you get everything moving and connected. The Blower may be stuck/seized, but it should free-up with a bunch of patience and a very small hammer.  The value of worth is difficult to pinpoint, it varies with different parts of the world. Worth is what it is worth to you, knowing it needs some loving to put it back to good use.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

The last two forges I bought were $75, and $125. The blower I got for a friend recently was $50.

That is about what I would pay for that lot, I buy tongs for $3-$5 a pair, so..how many do they have? 

I still see forges on Craigslist for not that much, and had a small rivet forge given to me a couple of years ago. But this out West.

2 hours ago, SReynolds said:

Far and away more than that in ohio. Typical worn out rivet forge is 300.00 and old rusty near junk tongs are 15.oo/20.oo unless you go to a farm auction and get lucky.

My (kinda) worn-out rivet forge was $125  a couple of years ago in a junk/antique shop a few towns west of Cleveland. Guess I got lucky. 

(Maybe I really should go ahead with building a JABOD and seeing what I can get for the rivet forge....)

• 4 weeks later...

I have come across a possible find, a Buffalo Forge with blower with original cast legs... but quick over the phone price was $1,000. Seeing as I missed out on one with an anvil for $100... I would assume that the person selling for $100 just wanted it out of the way and the person selling for $1,000 is hoping to get lucky. 

I am guessing I can build a nice coal forge at the $300-$500 mark.