I Forge Iron

Cheapo Spear (knif, byproduct)

So I was making a Christmas gift out of an old chisel with a rotted handle. After drawing out and finishing the blade, I was left with the round socket and a short but rather thick "nub" from the base of the chisel.

I knew the socket was a bit small for a spear, but in between cooling period from other projects I started drawing out the nub into a blade. I didn't think it had enough metal to make a normal looking spear head, but as always, there was plenty once I started getting it flat.

As it happened, I also had a broken rake from this year's fall cleanup in the shed, and its handle fit nearly perfectly into the socket. So, I sanded it, hit it with the torch to give it an aged look, then rubbed in a little stain, and pinned the head on.

The end product isn't exactly what I'd call battle ready (really only because of the comparatively flimsy rake handle, the head is solid, if only a little small)... But for something that took an hour of my time (not counting tempering, obviously) and is literally made out of my garbage, I'm actually pretty tickled about how it came out. DEFINITELY going to try spear making again, the right way, once I get the proper equipment.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well, it could just be my ignorance, but I have no idea how I would make a solid socket with just my hammer, tongs and anvil (which is the totality of what I have aside from the fire part). I've seen tutorials where you just sort of wrap and weld (technically I don't have the stuff to weld either, but I can visit my buddy's shop for that), but even that leaves an opening where the socket and blade meet.... Not to mention, I have only one set of tongs currently, that makes any project where I don't have a long extension "handle" difficult until I have it hammered to fit the set that I have. With the wrap and weld technique that seems like it could be problematic.

And again, this was just screwing around with some scraps, wasn't trying to brag.

I just watched a video last night where the guy made most all of the spear head from a long bar of stock so he didn't need tongs until once he was almost done. He didn't weld the socket. Just saying. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9jypAxXdkY

Tho he uses a power hammer you could hammer it by hand and the tools he uses can be made.

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I just watched a video last night where the guy made most all of the spear head from a long bar of stock so he didn't need tongs until once he was almost done. He didn't weld the socket. Just saying. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9jypAxXdkY

Tho he uses a power hammer you could hammer it by hand and the tools he uses can be made.

Yeah... I mean, 30 second in he's using tools I don't have... I get it, I can make them, but one thing at a time. , just delete this thread I guess. Sorry guys.

Foul language is not permitted on IFI

I understand. It's an idea to work towards.  Very rarely do we start out or even find the tools we need to make things. "Making the tools to make the tools we need to make...." 

Your spear looks good to me. I haven't made one and if you were able to repurpose a wasted bit of something else into that then I'm all about it.  Anyone's biggest downfall is saying " I can't." We here are all about how it Can be done. Just because you don't have the tools now dosnt mean you won't get or make them later.  

keep on forging, learning, and building skills. Don't get discouraged about something. Keep doing what you Can and working to improve on what you Could. 

Start making a few socketed arrow heads and it's just a matter of scale from there.  Hammer and anvil and a long piece of stock,  spread the end into a nice even fan  and roll into a cone.  A set of scrolling tongs do a nice job of holding the socket end while forging the pointy bit.  A very basic set of tools are needed.   Not all sockets are welded,  more of a bragging point than a difference in function.

Yeah, thanks guys for all the advice... sorry for the curse earlier, I just type how I talk sometimes (which is sometimes done rather quickly, as I'm often on the throne, and my butt goes numb after a few minutes).

I just want to clarify again though, this was just something I cobbled together out of scraps while I was making a knife. I never set out to make a spear, I just looked at the left over chisel nub after setting the rest of the blade to cool and thought "I bet I could make a little spear out of that" and started hammering. Prior to that I'd never researched or intended to make a spear.

Since I thought this little toy turned out cool, I did go watch some videos on spear forging and determined that I didn't yet have the tools for it; but that it was certainly possible in the near future (indeed, the tools for making a spear head seem easier to make or acquire than the stuff I currently am lacking for knife finishing and handle making)... After reaching this determination, I made the OP you can see here. 

So, when I said "going to try spear making again, the right way, once I get the proper equipment" it was a statement of fact, not one of defeat... and when I posted this here, it was not to say "look at this amazing spear I made, there is no way I can make a better one until I win the lotto"; but more along the lines of "hey I just cobbled this together half on accident, it came out prettier than I had hoped for, and now I'm interested in spear making."

And no worries lads, no one is charging into battle with this rake handled little guy... In fact, the lady and I have determined it will make a cool curtain rod/conversation piece in the den.