I Forge Iron

Steel roses and wire trees

Brazer

Some of the stuff I am doing. The copper wire trees sell fast, and it is warmer in the house when it is cold outside.

When it isn't cold outside I play with the forge, but the wire trees relax me, and help me figure a quicker way to make the

flowers. With out a plasma cutter, my 20 gauge steel gets cut by hand with aviation snips, takes time.

Trees range from 4" and 9" tall with out their bases or rocks.

Video 3 0 00 04-16.jpg

Video 4 0 00 03-02.jpg

Video 5 0 00 00-10.jpg

Video 6 0 00 07-21.jpg

Video 4 0 00 19-10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

CT,   When I attach to wood, I usually drill tiny holes through, so  copper wires can secure the tree around the roots and pass through the base.

I recess the wood between the holes, on the bottom, so when I twist the wire at the bottom and cut off, they won't interfere with the felt glued on.

This way nothing scratches any wood surface.  On the rocks I Devcon Clear Epoxy the tree to the rock, and spray clear coat over the entire rock.

I use a 4 1/2" Diamond cup on my disc grinder, to even out the bottom of the rock, before attaching the tree. Then I glue felt on bottom.

On the salt crystal, the roots firmly grab the crystal, and are not secured.

For the large ones, I use 18 gauge dead soft copper, the best for small ones is 22-24 gauge, but I use 20 gauge on most all my trees. It is best for me to

turn the loops for leaves, and holds shape better. For wind swept tree, use a gauge like  22 to 18, depending on size of tree for best results, in my opinion.

My large are under 10" and the smallest are around 3". You have best results with dead soft temper in your copper.