I Forge Iron

Halfbreed

templehound

12 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Well that's a new one to me, giraffe shin bone. Should have enough for a whole lot of beautiful knives. :) 

My father-in-law sent my daughter a giraffe-bone box for Christmas last year, and she really doesn't like it. Maybe I can get her to let me repurpose it....

13 hours ago, John McPherson said:

Tight, crisp, and precise: everything it should be and nothing more. Excellent work!

Thanks for Your fine comment, Sir!

12 hours ago, aessinus said:

All John's adverbs.  Very striking.  Did you use checkering files on the handle?

Yes, I used a checkering file with about 18-20 lpi, cut 00.

Thank You aessinus!

12 hours ago, JHCC said:

"Any idiot can make the simple complicated. It takes genius to make the complicated simple." -- Thelonius Monk

Thank You JHCC, that goes deep!

11 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Well that's a new one to me, giraffe shin bone. Should have enough for a whole lot of beautiful knives. :)  as always, thanks for sharing your great work.

Daswulf, giraffe bone is, besides whale bone the toughest bone I know. Cattle, buffalo and camel bone are IMHO too brittle to make satisfying scales.G-bone has a much bigger fat content. I personally think has to take besides pressure a lot of bending according to the giraffe's long legs, compared to buffalo and cattle which have to take more pressure than bending.

Thanks for Your comment, always much appreciated!

2 hours ago, boisdarc said:

Man, you are making me rethink this whole "I want to make a nice knife" idea that I used to entertain. I can't tell by the pics, do the scales extend past the tang like many of your knives in the past have? 

No, the scales don't extend over the tang.I like them extend over the tang, but that would have changed the drive of the design and raised the effort.

Thank You boisdarc!

Bust12,k..jpg

On 12/25/2016 at 6:56 PM, ianinsa said:

That is a stunning looking piece!

A quick question about the scales, a friend gave me 2 Giraffe femurs (massive chunks of bone) but I have no idea of how to treat them, would you be amenable to giving me advice?

Thank You, ianinsa! The only problem with this material is, it actually cannot be glued ..even strongly chemically degreased 

After hours(quick bond) or after days( slow bond) the fat wil find its way back, it will loose its bond and smear away.

the bleached bones may glue better, but if they are so strongly bleached they become more brittle and loosing the original toughness.

so I like them fatty, yellow and strong and that means I always countersink and riveting the pins and only glue to keep the whole thing in place until I set the pins with or without doomed head.

And I do not make hidden tang knives out of this material, because of the problem mentioned above...besides You need the bone of a huge bull to get the thickness for a hidden tang knife.

If You have a bandsaw You can cut the chunks vertically, than You have 2 major and 2 minor scales.

Take sharp belts and low pressure, thats hard bone.If not sharp and too much pressure it will get hot real fast, smear, bake and close up Your grit.

so thats it, just start work with it and You will see.....has its own fragrance.

cheers

9 hours ago, BCROB said:

worth a second reply , really like this knife , may have to steel a portion of your idea.......^_^ 

Well,...:D  I am honored, Thanks a lot BCROB!

...some additional input to encourage You

I still have an image of the first study, it told me very fast about the angle of the checkering according to the design.

Then I tried it on scales, figuring out the difficulty of continuing the evenness in the checkering pattern when the handle tapers too much.

My pleasure

Cheers

ono1,k..jpg

Gaikin66,k..jpg

Gaijin55,k..jpg