I Forge Iron

What's wrong with my post vise

Quench.

Ah! I see Daswolf, thanks.

JHCC, no I did mean exacerbates: to make something that is bad even worse (Cambridge Dictionary)

Although I do admit to being a particularly unacomplished lexicon and prone to typographic errors, so I do tend to proof read but often do not see them on screen but spot them straight up on paper...weird!

Edited by Smoggy
spelling correction.

2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Ah! I see Daswolf, thanks.

JHCC, no I did mean exacerbates: to make something that is bad even worse (Cambridge Dictionary)

Although I do admit to being a particularly unacomplished lexicon and prone to typographic errors, so I do tend to proof read but often do not see them on screen but spot them straight up on paper...weird!

No problems!

(Although I think you mean "unaccomplished lexicographer". ;) )

No again JHCC, I didn't mean to refer to myself as the compiler of a dictionary but as the dictionary itself and the language/grammar, although having already spotted one spelling error I didn't notice the errant 'c'.

You do realise the more I tripe the more I err...! :D

16 hours ago, Smoggy said:

No again JHCC, I didn't mean to refer to myself as the compiler of a dictionary but as the dictionary itself

Well, a dictionary (being an inanimate object) cannot be "accomplished", so you can see whence came my misunderstanding.

16 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Perhaps if you tripe the light fantastic you won't stew about it so munch!

That's certainly something to chew on, if you have the stomach for it.

On December 18, 2016 at 11:10 AM, stockmaker said:

I had the same problem when I put mine back together.  Like Jim Coke says, tighten the pivot bolt, and make sure that part of the vise is as tight as it can be without binding.  Hopefully that is all that is needed.

This fixed most of the issue.  I think everything is lined up, and the spring seems even.  Post fits into a pipe fitting, welded onto a plate, bolted to the base that the stump rests on.  So the post doesn't move.  The vise will close properly with nothing in the jaws.  After tightening the pivot joint as much as I dared, then backing it off just a smidge, it mostly stays aligned with the work in the jaws on the right side and it stays aligned all the way with the work on the left side.

I'll have to make some shims as well.  Thanks for your help.  Picture below is after tightening.  Still see a lot of gap, but the left and right plates, forming the outside parts of the pivot sandwich, are not parallel.   The gaps are tight on the stump side of the pivot.

-Q

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, stockmaker said:

Good Deal.  Don't forget to lube it, don't use grease it will gather dirt and filings, I used 20 wgt motor oil, but any light oil will do.

Drat, I used grease.  Oh well, guess I'll clean it out and squirt some oil in there.  Have more oiling to do on various tools.  Screwy weather over here is rusting everything in a flash.  WD40 is easy to spray but just doesn't last worth diddly.    -Q

9 hours ago, Quench. said:

Drat, I used grease.  Oh well, guess I'll clean it out and squirt some oil in there.  Have more oiling to do on various tools.  Screwy weather over here is rusting everything in a flash.  WD40 is easy to spray but just doesn't last worth diddly.    -Q

WD40 isn't really designed to be an oil - its a water displacer (WD!) 

12 hours ago, RobbieG said:

WD40 isn't really designed to be an oil - its a water displacer (WD!) 

Exactly.  And I use it to displace the condensation that collects when humid weather comes in after the metal has gotten cold.  Oil is no good then--it doesn't displace the condensation and makes a mess.  But you have to go back with the oil later, because the WD40 evaporates pretty quickly.  But sometimes I just and spray after the weather and then forget to go back with the oil.

8 hours ago, Quench. said:

Exactly.  And I use it to displace the condensation that collects when humid weather comes in after the metal has gotten cold.  Oil is no good then--it doesn't displace the condensation and makes a mess.  But you have to go back with the oil later, because the WD40 evaporates pretty quickly.  But sometimes I just and spray after the weather and then forget to go back with the oil.

Its an easy thing to forget - luckily for me changes in humidity are not a common concern in Ireland, we tend to stay between 70 and 90% all year round!