I Forge Iron

2 x 82 belt grinder Variable freq drive

mfkerr

I am looking at this belt grinder on ebay and am wondering if anybody here has bought one or knows about them?

link removed

PH 427 X 12" Wheel  & Flat Platen Tool Rest 2 Hp 110 Volt Belt Grinder 2" X 82" Grinder Variable Speed

Package Content
  • 1 × 1.5kw Electric Machinery With All Copper Wire
  • 1 × 2.2kw Vector Transducer From RILIPU
  • 1 × Toothed Rubber Wheel And Independent Movable Rod
  • 1 × Flat Grinding Rack With Independent Movable Rod
  • 1 × Concare Grinding Rack With Independent Movable Rod
  • 2 × Concare Grinding Wheel

2.JPG

3.JPG

the fact that it is unbranded likely means it comes straight from china, or wherever it is made. this would make it hard to obtain parts or service for it. Grizzly makes a 2x72 belt grinder/buffer that is of known quality, half the price, and they have great customer service.

Warning! Danger Will Robinson!

There is a whole treatise on warning signs that could be written from the trash in this fleaBay listing: in no particular order

1. CE (Europe), no UL (USA) or CSA (Canada) approval stamps

2. Poor translation, no understanding of industry terminology

3. Open, not sealed motor. Will die a quick and painful death when enough grit gets sucked in

4. The vendor is ***beautysupplyworld*** !!!

5. You have to push start the belt *every time*, no cold starts or you will fry the motor!

Mm ... usually when considering a machine made in Whoknowswexistan, one makes concessions based on price ... I mean cheaper  price not dearer!!

Now that I think about it, this is a great business concept. Buy machines from Alibaba at $200 a dozen. Post on ebay for $2000 each, call yourself beautiful for added allure, . Someone will bait. Sell one machine and have 11 free to flog off at 100% profit :)

Forget it, buy standard machine from known supplier with available parts and service powered by a totally enclosed motor.

Welcome to the international "Hate Train".

Thanks for all of the negative comments!!

Can there be anything positive here about this completely sub-standard machine which just happens to be affordably priced.

Well, tell ya what. I'm going to be the self appointed "Guinea Pig" and buy the machine.

I will give a very detailed unbiased report on it once I have it.

The "Funny Named" company I will admit was somewhat of a Kill Joy!! ***beautysupplyworld***, What the heck...

Go right ahead, ask for advise and then ignore it. I wait patiently for your unbiased report.

What do I know anyway, just some goob on the internet, who happens to know several guys who make and sell grinders to professional knifemakers and other high end users. Who makes his living with industrial power tools, and specs the purchase of $2K - $200K machines regularly.

I'm interested to see how this works out for you.  In addition to what others have mentioned I have a couple other comments.  I'm not saying they don't exist, but when I switched over to variable speed on mine I could not find a 2 hp 3 phase motor that operated on 110v.  Anything that claimed to be 2hp was no more than 1.5 hp if you used 110v when you looked at the "fine print."   It's possible the inverter changes the 110v input to 220v output in addition to making it 3 phase, but if so you may need to look at the amps used under startup and full load. The second thing, and they even bring this up in the listing, is that the VFD (or inverter as they call it) is not designed for dusty environments.  Unless you build a good enclosure for it you can expect the abrasive and metal particles to cause it to fail within a fairly short period of time.  I modified an old PC case to mount the cheap VFD I bought and so far have had no problems, but that doesn't mean it will hold up like the NEMA 4X models you can get through Wayne Coe who is a member here.

Actually Professor, my question was a "Yes or No" question. I don't recall asking for advice, rather than looking for product information. But instead of anybody that actually had knowledge of the machine, the posting just got blasted with negative comments.

I see that you are an excellent judge of character and have rightly called my pals out as hateful unlearned trolls - You can do much better than with the likes of us - so go suit yourself, mfkerr.

Feel free to mute my posts, as I too am a negative, ignorant hater,

Robert Taylor

Yes you asked a Yes/No question.  However you asked it on a public forum that is dedicated to helping *EVERYONE* who may read this thread;  so answers are often wider than the original question to cover aspects that other people may not be aware of. You are not constrained to listen or follow any of the advice given. Due Diligence does require investigating things a bit deeper.  

It took me a considerable amount of time to get my Bader; but it was what I learned on working for a professional swordmaker and I have never regretted it.  The Grizzly grinder has been mentioned here, I don't remember if the Coote or Burr King has been.  They would be the ones I would base a comparison of price and features on.  

You might also profit from some of the cautionary tales of folks buying stuff from dealers that do not have a long track record of supporting their products; if not here then perhaps at some of the welding forums where tales of woe with off brand equipment are not uncommon.

On 12/18/2016 at 11:42 AM, mfkerr said:

I would be delighted if you could direct me to a half price machine with the same capabilities. Maybe I could avoid a purchasing mistake.

I will be much appreciated.

you were given advise and comments now you cry that you didnt hear what you wanted.  Deal with it, in the real world you do not always get your way.

You were warned about finding belts in that size, or parts later when it breaks down and you blame us?  good luck getting any more of your posts answered.

Very thoughtful, thank you for your comments. My intentions were not to come off abrasive. It did seem as though I stirred the pot. As a craftsman myself, I understand and respect those who have more knowledge and experience than I. It just seemed like a bashing. I will be more thoughtful and try not to read to deep into comments.

I will research the brands you mentioned before I make a decision. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

you were given advise and comments now you cry that you didnt hear what you wanted.  Deal wit h it, in the real world you do not always get your way.

You were warned about finding belts in that size, or parts later when it breaks down and you blame us?  good luck getting any more of your posts answered.

Well aren't you a sweetheart. :)

Just because you dont like the answer, is no reason to act this way.  Dont like it? Tough.  Learn how to deal with negative answers before posting again. you are getting some time out to think about if you want to be a part of this community or just complain that we dont agree with you.

You  seem to think that this forum is just for you, this is posted to a forum of 45,000 members and others may wish to be warned rather than throw away money and find out the hard way.

Actually, now that you mention it, I ***am*** a Professor.

I attempted to educate you by pointing out various salient points (out of many) that were glaringly obvious to those with the perspicacity to evaluate such offerings.

At no time was I rude or offensive to you personally. I said the ad (which you ignored forum rules, if you ever bothered to read them, and linked directly to) was full of trash. Which raises any number of red flags to the experienced on-line shopper.

• 9 months later...

Yes I did. I is a nice machine. I haven't been back on here since I got cooled down for some time by the moderator.

I promised an "Un-Biased" review, but have been skeptical about posting. 

I have made many knives since the acquisition of the machine and am satisfied with it. 

Regards... Mark

Hi Guys,

I live in New Zealand, so found it difficult to source a variable speed belt grinder without paying $ thousands in shipping charges, so ended up buying one of these ones from China.  My main purpose is to grind straight razor blades (not knives) but I thought I would give some feedback after using the rig for a few months.

The unit arrived in a wooden crate and weighed around 86kg with all of the attachments.  It's very solid.  All up and including carriage to Auckland, NZ and import duty, it cost me $1,200 NZ Dollars (around $800 US Dollars)

After setting the unit up in my workshop, I noticed that the idler wheel unit could be turned over.  I did this and the unit comfortably takes 72 inch belts, with the exception of the platen attachment - this still needs 82 inch belts as it's quite large.  So I've ordered some to use with the platen.

The unit includes:

• 12 inch contact wheel - OK for wedge razor blades and pre-heat treatment shaping
  • Platen attachment that allows the tool rest to be attached - very large
  • Small Wheel attachment and two small wheels with rubber covers
  • One 60 Grit 82 inch belt

All wheels and attachments have large Japanese-made SKF bearings which makes the unit run smoothly, I've ground quite a few blades and wooden scales now without issue.

The motor is actually sealed, so no issues there. 

The VFD is not though, but the cable is long enough to place it well out of the way.  That said, I'll change for a sealed unit at some point in the future.

Not sure what was meant about needing to push the belt to start, I switch on the power and turn the knob on the VFD and the belt begins to rotate itself.

I bought a separate 4 inch contact wheel to grind full hollow grind razor blades.  I had a local engineering shop make me a spindle to fit the half inch bearing of the 4 inch wheel and this works fine with the rig and is easy to fit and adjust.

All in all, I'm very happy with the rig, it does the job.  If the motor lasts 6 months or a year, it's not the end of the world, I can get an Australian equivalent motor for around $200 NZD.  For the future, a sealed VFD (around $600 NZ Dollars) is on my list.

the two small wheels that came with the rig were 1.6 inch and 1 inch.  I've asked my engineering shop friends to make me a 1/2 inch one for working on small areas of blades.

So, a few months in and all is well.  Mark, maybe you could look to turn over your idler wheel assembly, as 72 inch belts are far easier to source.

Hope this helps

All the best

Dave

• 2 years later...

G'day onotoman,

I had been considering a fixed speed model of that same grinder, after reading your post I decided to go for it.

Great machine, very massive, well built, but I can't for the life of me get the belt sorted.

No matter what I seem to do with the crown wheel I can't get it to stay centered.

I know this is most likely operator error, did you have similar difficulty?

If so, how did you remedy it.

If not, do you have any advice?

The latter question is for everyone, I am graduating from a small Ryobi model so I'm still on the steep end of the learning curve.

Regards