I Forge Iron

Ernest Rellfinghaus anvil purchase

Congrats on the anvil choice!  I think the arguments about the hardness and alloying properties of Refflinghaus anvils is convincing.  Still, I haven't used enough anvils to be convinced that I HAVE to have the hardest anvil.  But if I can get that much mass and great hardness...well, it's hard to find a reason not to get excited.

You'll be more than happy with your new baby, it's a fine shop size. If you need to make it portable that's what the Lord gave us big brains and thumbs for. I found an engine hoist at a yard sale that'll lift mine into the pickup stand and all. If I had to move it aver delicate ground I'd consider making a hand truck with ATV tires and it'd be good for moving boulders, V8 engines, road kill moose, etc.

I also highly recommend the steel tripod stand, I'll never go back to wood willingly. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Thanks for the encouragement I cant wait till she getshere.It willbe a bit but this is the one Im chasing so thank you sir.Now that I've got your attention. About the T burner can I use 1in pipe all theway threw the build? Does the .35 tip have to be .35 or can I use a smaller tip for consumption reasons? My main concern is the pipe question though. 

Thanks, Martin Moldovan 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, marcusb said:

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/49277-is-there-something-wrong-with-my-anvil/#comment-516861

That would be a good thread to read over before you make a final decision

My Refflinghaus hasn't been babied for the last year and the face still looks new. The dilemma with that thread is you don't know how the smith was using the anvil. If you miss your metal or you don't have it hot enough you will cause damage to anything even a wrecking ball. That being get a hold of Dick at http://www.blksmth.com and ask him, that way there is no speculation.

Fat fudd

This is precisely why im going with the Rellfingheis just for the same reason you declared. You haven't babyed your and she still looksnew.Along with all the research I've done I am pretty sure I wont go wrong with a Rellfingheis. 

I have spoken with dick and even with an intended blow with a unmodified ballpeen it wont dent the surface and has aloys to alow for hard to damage corners.

No matter what everyone says my mind is fixed and I agree with you on the constant reminder that yours is in great and unbabyed shape....

Thanks for the incouragment an replys but unless there is a better than Rellfingheis that Knowone has knowledge of than Im all in.....

Rellfingheis for president lol...

Thanks, Martin 

• 1 month later...