I Forge Iron

Ernest Rellfinghaus anvil purchase

Hey all, 

I am getting ready for the purchase of my lifetime anvil and was wondering if anyone uses or has used this brand anvil. The one im looking at is the #57 210lbs. Or the #56 120 any recommendations? It will be a brand new purchase any help in this would be appreciated. 

Thanks, Martin 

From what I've read and heard about Refflinghaus, you're about to buy the "crème de la crème" of brand new anvils.

Seems like the difference between the 56 and the 57 is the upsetting block. My only question is why such a big weight difference? Do you want a 210# or a 120# anvil? That quite evidently impacts the price also.

Fat fudd this is why I am considering the 220 ,as we speak im trying to look at previous post but there seem to be something wrong with the stickys, so thanks for the advice. 

Judson Yaggy 

It is my understanding that the Rellfingheis has a harder face perhaps the hardest and possibly the best rebound in new anvils, haven't done any research on the nimba or fontanini though. Do you use one of these? What do you think about them ? I guess I should have put in the post that I was looking for a great anvil but I m partial to the Rellfingheis though.

Thanks for the reply  

I'm a newb but I don't think hardness is the ultimate measure of an anvil.  I do know that you have to baby harder anvils more because they are much more likely to chip on the edges.  They definitely provide more force to a work piece fro the bottom when you are working but I feel that there are diminishing returns with this.  I would rather get a 250# anvil that requires one more swing of the hammer (theoretically) over a 210# anvil that is slightly harder if the price is the same.  

If the 250# anvil didn't come with an upsetting block my decision would probably be swayed to the smaller one.  I guess in the end it comes down to design.  If the features appeal to me because of the type of work I do I would buy it.  Either way, I think you should take Judson on his word and check out the Nimba or Fontaninni just to be thorough...I've heard great things about all of those names.  Buy the one that you fall in love with aesthetically.  You want to wake up in the middle of the night and feel the need to go caress it. :)

I'm jealous you are buying your forever anvil...congrats!

1 hour ago, Lou L said:

I'm a newb but I don't think hardness is the ultimate measure of an anvil.  I do know that you have to baby harder anvils more because they are much more likely to chip on the edges.  They definitely provide more force to a work piece fro the bottom when you are working but I feel that there are diminishing returns with this.  I would rather get a 250# anvil that requires one more swing of the hammer (theoretically) over a 210# anvil that is slightly harder if the price is the same.  

If the 250# anvil didn't come with an upsetting block my decision would probably be swayed to the smaller one.  I guess in the end it comes down to design.  If the features appeal to me because of the type of work I do I would buy it.  Either way, I think you should take Judson on his word and check out the Nimba or Fontaninni just to be thorough...I've heard great things about all of those names.  Buy the one that you fall in love with aesthetically.  You want to wake up in the middle of the night and feel the need to go caress it. :)

I'm jealous you are buying your forever anvil...congrats!

As a matterof fact as far as ive researched the Rellfingheis anvils have a very high rockwell into 60s so this is exciting not to mention the steel they make them from is  hard enough to take a ball pean hammer blow and not even mark it.I also understand by the type or alloys used not only keeps the sitface strong to an astonishing depth and by the same alloys allows for strong unchipable corners.It was said that during a forge in the fella that sells these things missed as a striker came down pn a corner half on half off and not even a scratch.I guess all in all I want the best of the best and sofar I have my eye on the Rellfingheis 220lb 

Thanks for the reply, Martin  

Last time I asked the question to one of the Refflinghaus family, he told me 57 Rockwell at 25mm depth. 

You can email them, they are quick to answer. 

I agree that the southern German pattern is probably the best shape, together with the French 'pig' 

All of the anvils mentioned are great and one should also consider the rhino anvils. That being said I have looked at and tried them all. The rathole and nimbas are somewhat softer and the conventional wisdom is that they won't chip as easily but they do get marked with a hard missed blow. As mentioned above the Refflinghaus are harder and I have yet to mark or chip mine and I use it everyday. Actually the faces are guaranteed to be at least 59hrc. See- http://www.blksmth.com/Refflinghaus_Anvils.htm

On the nimba website it says- Heat treatment results in Rockwell 50-52 hardness on all surfaces of the anvil.  One of our members has 2 nimbas and his only regret with them has been the softness. 

Rathole anvils are a little harder per their website- The anvils are made from high quality H-13 steel, Rockwell C Hardness between 52 and 55.

All I can say is buy a bigger one. You sure don't want to be spend that much on one and then in 4 or 5 years wish you had spent another $500 to get the next size up. If this is truly your lifetime anvil save a few more months and get a bigger one. If it were me I would get the 275 lb or larger #58.

JUDSON 

Well I guess we have a winner and it is the Rellfingheis and cant wait to get mine.I got in touch with the supplier and he said the 220 is not in stock and it could take up to a year to bring one of these bad boys home...lol cant wait so I will plan on the 220 untill I get word of him having his resupply I will save some more money and Mabe just Mabe I will get a bigger one.I like the hardness of the Rellfingheis at a great depth of hardness seem to be the best imo sold today. And ive done some research on lots of anvils as of now.

Thanks for the reply and attachment. I took a gander and this is my conclusion so thank you...

Well, Ive definitely made the my decision for my lifetime anvil .For those who replyed and have given there opinion .I appreciate it .The decision I made is to purchase the Rellfingheis #58 330lbs I think this will work for all my projects and probably not out grow me a bit. Now just to save a few more hundred pluss shipping the cost without shippingis a pricey 2850 in cold hard cheddar but at least I will have my dream anvil and maybe set up a bed next to me and my wonderful wife who is allowing this to happen.I know it is a bit bigger than I was originally thinking but I was told if you think you want an anvil a sertain weight to go to the next size .This makes sense as tool time Tim says hu hu hu or something. I am so blessed to have a wife that supports my dream and dosent hold me back much.For that I thank you.For all the people that have given me there words of wisdom and just a nice conversation. Isay thank you and God Bless you and all you familys. 

Forge on and create beautiful things sharp or artistic. 

Thanks all, Martin Moldovan 

Start now and put just $5 a day into a kitty. The anvil should be paid for in just 19 months.

Once you get to using the new anvil you will enjoy your decision even more. With each hammer blow, remember that you have a wonderful wife, and be sure to also spend some quality time with her. (grin) 

-Glen The five bucks a day is a goood starts Thanks for the incouragment I was thinking 100 a week until I get there.Since I've got you here is there any way to change my Name to my New Forge name without making a new profile? 

And I agree my wife is a heven sent and Im fortunate to have such a woman. As far as the anvil goes I can'twait to get the cheddar together. 

Judson 

Thanks for the incouragment, like stated earlier Ive read that if you want a certain size you should save a little mor a get the next one up.

11 hours ago, Beatsy' s Forge said:

I know it is a bit bigger than I was originally thinking but I was told if you think you want an anvil a sertain weight to go to the next size

Not to dissuade you, just remember that unless you are a herculean human, moving a 330lb anvil will be difficult to do, whereas I can lift and move my 220 as needed. 

It has also been said that sometime size is just ego. 

I can easily "walk" my 180kg anvil, sitting on a solid oak sump, around the shop, that's not an issue. I also effortlessly raised my 150kg anvil on its base, alone, using a thick 3m long plank as an incline - 30 seconds job. so, unless it's 500kg, that's a non-issue.

hey, Martin Moldovan, are you of Romanian origin?

And then you get the "Oh the smithing demo is on the backside of the building and no you cant drive over the garden and there's 2 sets of steps anyway"   My demo anvil is my lightest one!  (Though I'll sometimes have a heavier one as a backup if they say, "Sure drive right up to your spot and we'll help unload!")

I've also had campouts where I had to pack stuff in; the viking anvil makes those trips