I Forge Iron

Orphaned blacksmithing videos

JHCC

We already have a collection of blacksmithing links on YouTube, but that page connects with YT pages that are devoted entirely (or mostly, anyway) to blacksmithing. This page is for links to individual blacksmithing videos that live on pages not so devoted.

(As these are off-site links, some may contain inappropriate language. Please add links to other orphan videos in the comments; staff will attempt to keep this updated, as they are able.) 

"Le ferronnier" from Télé Dobbitt (in French). A smith at an open-air museum in northern France makes shutter hinges.

A short interview with Francis Whitaker courtesy of the NEA.

Nail making and ox shoe smithing -- Swedish smiths in the 1920s.

Pioneer Axe -- 1965 footage of an old-school axe factory in Maine, shortly before it closed.

11 minutes ago, VaughnT said:

Reformatted for listing (this will take up a lot less space):

A la rencontre de... STEAVEN RICHARD Ferronnerie d'Art Forging a Louis XV-style railing

Territoires tourne à la Ferronerie Pongi An interview with Paul Pogni

Tűzvarázslók Tiszaeszláron Fire Wizards!

I'm going to put Aquairon Varna Wrought Iron on the "Collection of YouTube links" page, as the whole channel (okay, three videos) is their work.

2 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Reformatted for listing (this will take up a lot less space):

A la rencontre de... STEAVEN RICHARD Ferronnerie d'Art Forging a Louis XV-style railing

Territoires tourne à la Ferronerie Pongi An interview with Paul Pogni

Tűzvarázslók Tiszaeszláron Fire Wizards!

I'm going to put Aquairon Varna Wrought Iron on the "Collection of YouTube links" page, as the whole channel (okay, three videos) is their work.

I wondered what you'd think about that Aquairon vid.....

On 12/15/2016 at 8:36 PM, VaughnT said:

Sheet metal work on a serious budget!  A lot of lessons to be learned in this video!

Next time someone tells you they don't have the tools to make a forge or work metal, point them to this video.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdb18Mp4ac

That video also shows the use of a section of rail used as a combination anvil and swage block. That's something I've seen suggested here numerous times and think is definitely worth pointing out again.

I'd suggest changing a few things:

I'd have made the throw adjustable to allow for use of tooling.  Very simple to do. [turn buckle or even nesting tubing with multiple holes drilled in it and a bolt to set the length.

I would also not have welded the sledge head without proper pre/post heat

Finally the treadle looked way too high---his knee had to go too high for stability, which is a safety factor when you are working hot iron!