I Forge Iron

Simple scrap dragonfly

I have been looking for something fun and small to make that I can more easily make more of to be able to sell.  I do autobody work and always am taking things apart to see how they work. Years back I found that vehicle door power window motors had a great armature in most of them.

Recently as I was cleaning up I re-found some I had saved and when I ran across some ball bearings from a wheel bearing I had a thought that they would make great dragonflies.  

Figured I'd share the fun. I'm not great at explaining things but here goes in hopes someone might be inspired.

It doesn't take much if you have a welder, access to an auto junk yard ( friend at a body/ mechanic shop) a goodwill or junk store for some junky butter knives ( steel or stainless), some nuts and nails and some other more common tools. Need I say PPE? That too. Including a respirator and good ventilation while welding unknown scrap. 

At the scrap yard find a little older door power window motor or whole regulator if you have to. Most I have seen other then some very newer cars have ones usable for this. Just need the armature out of the motor. Also some small ball bearings out of a wheel bearing. ( you could also take doughnuts to a mechanical or body shop and ask nicely. They throw these away or scrap them all the time.) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

get the the armature out and clean off the grease and cut a bit off the one end ( if you want. ) that's the body. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next get 2 bearings and a nut and tack weld them together. I modified some vice grips because I plan to make more. Then weld them to the end of the armature. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next get your butter knives and cut the handles off of them. Arange them and tack them to a nut in whatever position you like that looks right. Then weld them to the armature back.  Wire wheeling the work as you helps in a nicer finished project. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now soften ( grind it so it isn't sharp) the tip on 6 nails. Don't wanna scratch furniture if it's free standing. No need if you will weld it to a cattail or other things. Then arrange them and tack them one at a time to the belly of the armature. After they look good to you you can fully weld the 6 of them. Then you can bend them with pliers.  ( if not hardened nails then you need heat) I used 3 1/4" stud nails 1/8" thick. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

After that that set it on a flat surface and tweak all the feet so they all sit flat on the surface. I start by pushing down on the center of the top of the piece to start them out ( if bending cold). Then little tweaks here and there. 

Thats it. You have a dragonfly. Hope this was a little inspirational and understandable. If you make one please share pictures. :) 

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

They will sell really well, Aric. People like the coppery look of the armatures. I've used them for bird bodies. The ones I used came from burned out angle grinders and orbital sanders.  I see you weld the ball bearing eyes the same way I do.

Yep, you have a sure-fire seller there!

Thanks Darryl! Great to hear. I'll take these first two to work tomorrow to test the waters. Funny enough they are a good indicator or interest. Very excited. 

I have some from grinders and other motors as well. They are great looking pieces. 

Thanks CT. I do what I can when I can. This is a busy time of year at work and at home. I really need to push through an owl that has been eluding me. once it starts coming together I'm sure it will flow. just need to crest that hill.  I've been loving seeing what you have been making as well. Keep at it.

More cool pieces Das. Marketable for sure.

Now I'm thinking about armaturedillos, curse YOU!

Wow I missed a lot of punishment. That'll teach me to start a reply, walk away from t he comp for a few hours then sit back down and just finish without reading the rest of the thread. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Just sharing the curse Frosty. :) Armaturedillo would be cool. In some modern window motors the armature is shorter, they could make great mice. Might make a good addition to the owl. Thanks for the idea Frosty! 

Gatta keep the imagination soaring. :D