I Forge Iron

Trimontasaurus.

Got this big busted up rusty pipe wrench in a pile of scrap and wanted to try a lizard but it was such a big wrench that it had to be a dinosaur. The wrench is a Trimont so it's a Trimontasaurus. No frilled lizards here. 

Still working on photography. It still needs work but I'm on it.

Mod edit: Size He is 24 3/4" tall by about 23" deep by about 10" wide. Roughly 36" feet nose to tail tip.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Robert, Tubalcain, Thank you! 

Robert I will send you a PM when I get home from work. 

He is a big guy, but of course in my being tired and rushing to get home for dinner I forgot to put in something for scale and never measured him. :rolleyes: will do that tonight. 

Thanks Ironmike. I am still using my MIG welder for these. Pretty sure I will finally start practicing with my TIG welder after this busy time of the year. 

Robert, I'm pretty sure it was about that size before I forged his tail out. Might not be quite that tall now but I will find out. 

Actually just looked at one of my pictures and it is marked size 36 :) 

You may want to either include something for size reference, or insert a piece of paper with the length, width, and height of the piece written on it, or both.  It is impressive work, and would be even more impressive knowing the size.

Best use I've ever seen for a large pipe wrench, I used to use the things every day, the small ones were 24". The front view is pretty scary looking.

Nice job Das, I hope you have enough old pipe wrenches to keep up with demand.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nathan Thanks.  Frosty, I don't. This one was rusted up and busted up from the pile of scrap I got from my neighbor. I have small ones but this is the only large one I have other then some a little smaller that I have to actually use.  Know where I can find a pile of them? :) 

This was my first time working with chain saw chain and man is it some mean stuff to play with. 

That is one mean looking dinosaur mate. You have excelled yourself! I have done a couple of those but nowhere near as big as that one. The saw chain in the jaws would have presented a challenge. Nice how you have made the rear legs and tail stand him up.  

The smaller pipe wrenches make convincing grasshoppers too.

Thank you Aus. The chain and standing him up was a challenge. There's no jig or anything really. A pair of vicegrips held him at the upright angle I wanted. Then it was a lot of playing around from there. Mir also took a while forging and bending his tail but it worked out great. Other then a couple bites and small burns he was really fun to make. 

I like the grasshopper idea. I can picture what you mean. 

Im working on making some smaller dragonflies from vehicle power window motor armatures. Most of them have a great shape. 

Getting chain to stay in place while you tack  it can be a challenge, sometimes a magnetic car door sign works, sometimes it's not worth the stink. A person can press roller chain into damp clay as a tacking jig. It's still a challenge.

From my experience a pipe wrench critter aught to have a finger in it's mouth, it's a favorite food.

54 minutes ago, rthibeau said:

yeah Das ......a size reference woulda saved me a shock when I got my frog

So long as you didn't get it stuck in your throat. :o

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, rthibeau said:

yeah Das ......a size reference woulda saved me a shock when I got my frog

:D 

9 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Getting chain to stay in place while you tack  it can be a challenge, sometimes a magnetic car door sign works, sometimes it's not worth the stink. A person can press roller chain into damp clay as a tacking jig. It's still a challenge.

A friend that was over last night was just telling me about using clay or welders putty. Ain't that coincidence.