I Forge Iron

Persian Anvil

We dont decorate and treat our tools with the same reverence that people used to. One of these days i'm going to work on making myself my own anvil, and it's going to be decorated to the max. A tool can be a piece of artwork, and some of the old leg vices, stump anvils (like the above one) and anvils iv'e seen in books are gorgeous, but were also jsut as functional. If we're all metal artisans, why not have artistic tools? =)

Is that Parviz Tanavoli? if it is he is an increadible artist. I built a bronze base for one of his sculptures. I have tried to get him interested in blacksmithing as some of his cast work shares similar themes to some of my chased work. He is a very interesting and also quite approachable for such an illustrious artist.

The quality of the tools that a craftsman made and maintained in his shop spoke of the over all quality of his work. In our post modern, post Christian world, everything is disposable. A low price, beats a high price every time. Tools along with everything else are designed to break, and need to be replaced so there is a continuing market for new product... YUCK the man that invented "planned obsolescence" should have been taken behind the building and horse whipped, not given a promotion... And sadly all we have available now is cheap xxxx, because that is all most people are willing to buy... Have a nice day, and please shop again... ;-)

Sorry hot button topic with me;-)