I Forge Iron

Railing codes

Ten Hammers

Folks, I've been asked to build railing for the local library (exterior and interior). I've been to the site and taken measurements. We (Council member, Librarian and myself ) have agreed on material and what we think is height and construction friendly. If any of you have experience with the Americans with Disabilities Act, please tell me where I may access information regarding codes pertaining to it. All it takes is one idiot visiting for a weekend to ruin my day. I build strong and faithful. This is a simple pipe rail with 2 posts and one top rail/one center rail. the unit is then installed with 1/2" drop in cement anchors. 1 1/4" sch 40 pipe will be bent for the rail/legs and the center rail will be welded in. Height requirements are my concern. Thanks folks.

Steve,
I asked Holly on this one , She said : for any drop over 30 inches such as a balcony or landing ADA code requires railing height to be atleast 42 ". For stairs the railing height must be no lower than 34 " but can be up to 42 " and the hand rail must extend the full width of one stair past the top and bottom of the staircase ( aprox 14" )If you have any other questions I can get you a link to the ADA code websites. Congrats on the railing job.

Jens :D

ADA Americans with Disabilities Act, requires a 34 inch top rail height,and steps have to be 34 inches from the toe of the step to the top, steps and ramps are required to extend past the top and bottom step at least 12 inches and have to be returned to the post at the middle rail. At least one intermediat rail long ways and posts no farther apart than 8 foot centers. Also it must be able to take a swinging load of 200 lbs from 6 foot away and remain stable.

Osha specs are a whole different ball game and railing must be at least 42 inches to the top and have a kick rail at the bottom.