I Forge Iron

Centerpiece

swedgemon

DW asked that I make something that would hold a Hobby Lobby pumpkin or large votive candle for the Thanksgiving table.  I used 1/8 X 1" steel strap, 6 pieces for the "stems/leaves" (about 10" long) and 4 shorter pieces for the "roots", most of the work was done on a 40kg Striker power hammer.  The pieces were welded together flat then a rosebud torch provided the heat to do the final forming.  Needless to say, there were several trial pieces made before I got the proportions right...tedious work, but great "WOW" factor.

DSC01280.JPG

DSC01284.JPG

DSC01285.JPG

DSC01287.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Making all 6 "pods" into tealight candle holders might be a bit busy...maybe making 2 into holders would keep it simple and balanced.  

On a slightly different angle, I thought making a similar piece for a hanging flower holder would look good, what with all the tangled tendrils wandering around maybe a spider plant or an air fern.  Maybe after I get some more oak planks cut out of the oak trunks cluttering my shop parking area...

We need one or several of you talented metal manglers to make something like described and post it so it will inspire me/others...