I Forge Iron

Burner angle

bigb

I have seen a lot of forges with the burner right on top at 12:00 and some with the burner at about one or two o'clock. When I posted my original drawing Frosty suggested I put my burner down a bit more for a swirl effect. Looking for input on where exactly to make the hole.

forge2.PNG

20161126_175713.jpg

20161126_175621.jpg

You should forget about where people think they should put a burner in a tunnel forge. The whole point of oval and "D" shaped forges is their wider floors. The more time an incoming flame spends impinging on a tough floor area, the easier that flame is going to be on the much more tender forge wall and ends. So, please listen to Frosty, and move your burner further down, aim it at an more horizontal angle (more like four o'clock).

Maybe my mental image of a clock is off but the "4 o'clock" angle would be impinging on the tender walls more.... but im just "people". And yea i dont have hundreds of years of forge building under my belt but i know what a clock looks like

I am very confused as well. Tonight I will draw up a sketch with various positions and post it. I have considered two burner ports, one for swirl and one for hot spot heating on the floor and just capping the unused port, not sure how that would work.

clock.PNG