I Forge Iron

Found this swage block at auction

bobasaurus

I found this neat old swage block at a local auction for about $200 after all the taxes and fees. It's pretty big, probably weighs well over 100 lbs. A few corners are chipped and crumbling, but overall it looks very usable. I'll get out the wire wheel on the angle grinder this weekend and try to clean it. Looking forward to forging some large carving gouges with this thing.  

2016-11-18_12.20.52.jpg

2016-11-18_12.20.36.jpg

1 minute ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Nice! That wasn't Proxibid was it? Saw one up there the other day that looked just like that.

Hah, it was on proxibid.  The auction happened to be in the next town over from me, so I just picked it up myself.  I don't know anything about its origins, after wire wheeling I'll look for any makers marks.  

That's funny. You probably would have had to pay a little more for it if I was closer. I seriously thought about bidding on it. It's nice to see something sell for a good deal on Proxibid. Usually, if it goes for less than they want, they will just buy it back at the last second with their "onsite bids". Ugh.