I Forge Iron

Its about time.

BlackMetalViking

I've been a member for a few months now, and I have to say first off, this site is amazing, as are the people that use it. You guys have helped me so much going from a newbie who didn't know squat, to a guy that knows a little squat. 

With that out of the way, I figured I should finally, formally introduce myself....My name is Jason, I'm a born and raised Calgarian (a pretty rare breed around here these days). For the past 13 years I've been working in the grounds department at my local golf course, and after receiving my diploma in Turfgrass Management, and a BaS in Golf course management, I took the position of Second Assistant Superintendent 6 years ago now. 

I've always been the type to rather learn to make something myself than to just buy what I need, or have someone do it for me. Ever since I was a kid I had an interest in making things, from cardboard swords, to dryer hose armor. That interest has followed me my whole life, and from card board I moved up to wood, and now I am trying my hand at metal. I caught the bug about six years ago now, a one time private lesson from and ex's friend. I made a horribly heavy and dysfunctional cutlass machete. It looks pretty nice, but I wont even consider testing it to see if it works because I know it wont, but I digress. I knew with some time, I could do better. From there I got involved with a lot of stock removal work, it was something I knew I could do, and it helped me refine my designs. 

This past summer was my first real attempt at forging, and I can't get enough. My set up is still small, just a coffee can forge, but I have bigger and better plans in store for the future. Including a couple new cylindrical gassers and hopefully one day a nice coal/charcoal rig. I just love this craft and how there always seems to be something new to learn, weather it be a new technique or a new project to try. I've already learned so much, and I am looking forward to learning even more as I delve deeper into this amazing and extremely satisfying hobby.

Thanks for reading and thanks for all your help!

Viking 

19 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Jason; I've been thinking of taking 3 drivers and replacing the shafts with steel rod and then tying or twisting them together to make a base for a golf themed drinks table Do you think there might be a market?

Well for starters, I was just at a farmers market and some people were selling a golf club plunger for $40, with that alone, I'd say go for it. But I can also tell you that golfers are a very interesting breed of people, who will buy just about anything to do with golf, my father for example went out of his way to spend extra money on a cast iron and wood bench just because it had a golfer on it. If what I'm picturing is anything like you're describing, I think there will definitely be a market, it might be pretty niche, but shoot, I'm sure my father would probably buy one.

Viking